General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

Me=dumbass

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2003, 11:35 AM
Regulate

Me=dumbass

Ok, so it was snowing and I decided to have a little fun sliding around in an empty parking lot. Pulling in, I skid and and my left front wheel hits the curb while it was turned to the right.

BAM!

I get out, and nothing seems wrong. I hit the curb at around 5-10 mph. The tire isn't flat (it might be tomorrow though). But then I started driving home, and the steering is still fine, but my steering wheel needs to be turned about 90 degrees to the left for me to go straight. (Keep in mind I was still driving in the snow, so steering might be slightly whacked out.

So this dumbass was wondering...worse case scenario, what is wrong and how much would it cost to fix? Did I just totally F up my alignment? Or is it possible that something broke and I need to replace it.

I'm so stupid. Such a bad time to be paying for repairs resulting from stupidity, especially since my bank account is currently nill.
Old 12-14-2003, 12:10 PM
Contributing Member

Damn...sucks. Hope everything turns out well
Old 12-14-2003, 03:05 PM
Contributing Member

part of the learning process.

I think ever guy we have has broken his **** up.

Take a look here for what you might have in store:

http://www.importfanatix.com/html/fr...ft_damage.html
Old 12-14-2003, 03:28 PM

I remember when I first got my car something similar happened to me, but it wasnt in the snow and I ended up braking half of the damn control arms and tie rods and a whole crapload of other things, wasnt too bad to replace though if you go junkyard digging, or you can just upgrade everything
Old 12-14-2003, 05:21 PM
Regulate

Hmm, I don't think I messed it up as bad as that guy (crosses fingers). Any idea how much it would cost to fix?
Old 12-15-2003, 07:42 AM

How much it'll cost to fix really depends on a whole lot of variables. If the car seems to be driving alright, then you're probably not in too bad shape. The wheel thing is wierd. I'd try to find some dry road sometime and see how it drives without the snow or ice. See if it'll track straight without your hands on the wheel. And then go from there.

Good luck,
Matt
Old 12-15-2003, 08:02 AM

aahh haaa

good thing that didnt happen to me!
but came close tried to drift and spun out 360 in the middle of the road lol!
got stuck in the snow bank some guy drives by me gives me a wierd look! (like kid do you have your licsence kind of look)
Old 12-15-2003, 09:02 AM
Regulate

Alright, I took it to the shop, the mechanic said I have a bent steering knuckle? Something like that. He didn't take anything apart, so just from eyeballing, he said that seemed like the only thing bent.

He fixed the alignment issue (kinda, he did it for free, so I had no complaints). Now instead of having to keep the steering wheel at 45 degrees to go straight, I just have to hold the steering wheel normally to keep it from pulling right.

So basically, right now it feels like driving a car that needs a big alignment job.
Anyone know what the heck a knuckle is? I was told it costs around 500-600 to fix, so I'm not about to shell out that money (not to mention I don't have it). I'm going to see if I can get the part and do it myself once I get some time.
Old 12-15-2003, 09:05 AM
Regulate

Found a steering knuckle for 100 bucks at an auto salvage. Not bad. Hopefully nothing else is bent.