General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

my 240SX SE is acting up

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2005, 06:58 PM

my 240SX SE is acting up

I just can't seem to find out whats wrong with my 1993 240SX SE.....
okay long story......
The guy i bought the car from tinckered with the electronics of the car. He added an alarm that doesn't work, a keychain remote to lock and unlock doors and trunk that also doesn't work,(if you push the lock or unlock buttons on the key chain remote the emergency lights go off) two small blue lights on the hood which also don't seem to work and fog lights. (which actually work). Despite all that crap the car itself was working perfectly....until one day when i was driving it and all of sudden all the lights interior and exterior just stopped working....okay so I got home and the next day it was again working perfectly so I thought nothing of it. About 3 days later im driving it and the car suddenly stalls out and the steering wheel locks up.. so be for I crash and die, i tried to start it and nothing ..so i pulled the emergency brake and hoped i dont hit any thing, luckly it was late at night and there was no traffic. After getting some help from a couple of friends I got it home. The next day the battery was dead....i dont no why because the car was completely turned off and it was a brand new battery that my mechanic installed when i first bought the car which was only like 3 months befor this happened. So i pulled out my jumper cables and juiced up the battery and all of a sudden the car again works perfectly. ( had a mechanic check it out and he said it was fine). so about a week later im out with a couple of my friends and we decide to start drifting ours cars. After about ten minutes of drifting my car stalls out again and the steering wheel locks up agian but this time i am able to restart right away. But now the car wont idle (have to keep reving the rpms to 2000 or more to keep the car from stalling in a gear or in nuetral) and the brakes are shot. ( it has become extremely hard to push down on the brake peddle and even if you do push it down all the way it still takes a long time to brake... if your luckly). And the next day the battery was dead agian. so i jumped it up again and the car still wont idle properly and the brakes are still shot. so i parked it and then the next day the battery was dead again. Now i dont no if its an electrical problem because of the previous owner installing all that crap, or if its the alternator or battery of if it even is an electrical problem.

Before i take it back to (its second home) the mechanic I would like to have some idea of what may be wrong with it.
Old 03-31-2005, 07:05 PM

I hate to restate the obvious but your car's electircal system is shot, whether its bad grounds or just completely fed up in a way i dont know about i dont know, but whats more disconcerning is the fact that your wheel is locking up after stalling which definately shouldnt be happening. If the key is still in the on position you should always be able to steer, even if its without powersteering, i wouldnt drive it in that case.
Old 03-31-2005, 07:10 PM

damn , thats exactly what i didnt want the hear... anyway thanks for the advice
Old 03-31-2005, 07:57 PM

befor you assume the worst try two things. 1, make sure ALL the fuses are snug. and check your alternator. do you have a system in your car?
Old 04-01-2005, 10:51 AM

I do have a system .....but it barely works. if i dont have it at a specific volume all you hear is static.

I think the speakers are messed up
Old 04-01-2005, 11:41 AM

hmmmm......does your lights dim when its on. im thinking, try unpluging it so the amp doesnt get power. make sure when the car turns off so does the amp.....i know it sounds stupid and im sure youve already checked it. but now the alternator, does your battery light ever come on when your driving?
Old 04-03-2005, 02:43 PM

I checked the fuses and the the battery light doesn't turn on when im driving .

the lights don't exactly dim but they do turn themselves on and off sometimes....
feels like the car is possessed.

I am about to take it to get checked out..hopefully i can get it fixed.

Thanks for all help
Old 04-03-2005, 03:41 PM

yeah thats probabley best, im sure it can be fixed, it'll probabley be somthing stupid like that guy wired it to the wrong one or thier are wires touching. good luck and let me know how it goes.