General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

Need some help on Deciding

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 08:53 PM

Need some help on Deciding

Hi, im kind of new year and im in the market for a 240and i need some help deciding if i should pick this one up. So I went to take a look at a 89' 240sx with a KA24DE swap. The guy is askin $1,800.

The PROS:
-Tein Coilovers
-Aftermarket Swaybar ( Unsure of the brand )
-Aftermarket Struts ( again unsure of the brand )
-3' Apex'i N1 catback
-Clean interior, no cracks on dash, no tears on seats, just some stains and a tiny rip on the driver's side door panel

THE CONS:
- Thick white smoke coming out of the exhaust, he has no idea why
- Smoke also coming out of the engine bay, around the driver's side
- There is also a strong smell of gas out the exhaust and in the engine bay.

He has changed the head gasket, so he doesn't know why there is that smoke problem. He also said that he thinks the smell of gas is due to a EGR VALVE problem. Im pretty sure it's more than that.

But any suggestions or help anyone can offer would be great. I want to know if it's worth the $1800 and what the problem is and if it's fixable.

Also, he isn't sure if it's the stock ECU, there does look like some kind of piggyback system on the passenger side floor.

Again, thanks for any future help.
Old 05-26-2007, 09:55 PM
Contributing Member

sounds like the headgasket is blown. aftermarket mods aside it sounds like it is just an old car with a bad motor, so it's worth will depend on your judgement. personally i would pass on any modified car especially if it is not in good running condition
Old 05-26-2007, 10:04 PM
Contributing Member

See if you can talk him down a little bit. A clean shell is getting harder to come by, and worst case scenario a new engine is only like 200 bucks. If you can get a picture of the electronics on the floor maybe we can help you a little more.
Old 05-26-2007, 11:34 PM

as ryguy said, use the smoke as a bargaining tool, talk him down. ka's are pretty cheap. hows the body?
Old 05-27-2007, 11:58 AM

The body is in decent condition there are no major dents just a small one near the front pssenger side fender, and there has been some bondo work done to near the tailight on driver side. but pretty much the body is good.

Also i had no idea KA's were that cheap, i have been looking for the pricing of one and havent really found anything.

Well hopefully if i do pick this one up the engine isn't in bad condition but at least the body's in good condition.

And, I wish i could take pictures of the electronics on the floror, but the guys trying to sell this car quick due to personal issues, so i don't really have time to take pictures and post them. I wish i did though, so i could get a better idea of what it is.
Old 05-27-2007, 12:08 PM
Contributing Member

I would def bring the price down. The motor dosen't sound like it will last very long without a good rebuild or some kind of swap-out.
You are basically paying for a clean body, clean interior, etc.

IMO $1,800 it a touch too high. Somewere around $1200 or less Is more reasonable. And if he is going for a quick sale, I sure you can offer him that amount.