General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

New to the world of the 240SX (help,big porblems)

Old 12-29-2002, 06:35 AM

Unhappy New to the world of the 240SX (help,big porblems)

I don't own a 240SX, I drive a turbo Z. My step-son bought a 1989
240SX LE as his first car. It ran fine for 7 months until Thursday when he had a radio installed at Best Buy. After the installation he drove it for an hour or so (working fine) when all of a sudden he experienced a loss of power, lots of white smoke, and the heavy smell of gas in the exhaust. The car now idles very rough and needs to be in "N" reving the engine to keep it from stalling. But when under power the car will run. Gas needs to be applied to start the car. Bottom line : running very rough and rich like it's on less then 4 cylinders. In no way is the car drivable in this condition. It's been sitting at my local mechanics since Friday. He's a real nice and fair guy, but he dosen't seem to have a clue to whats wrong. He keeps saying these Nissans are tricky because when he hooks up his hand held computer he get no error codes. At this point it's so flooded with gas he's having trouble getting started. I know that when fuel pressure regulator
goes on a VG30ET (300ZX) it will smoke, smell like gas, and run rough. Any ideas ? I don't think this shop will be able to trouble shoot the problem even though he's a good mechanic and always loaded with customers. What else can I try on my own ? If he can't fix it by the end of the day Monday I'm going to bring it home. I don't want to bring it to the Nissan dealership in fear of being raped $$$. I need to get my son on the road ASAP. Thanks in advance for any concern and help.

Steve
http://www.angelfire.com/az/tomicaz
Old 12-30-2002, 09:29 AM
Contributing Member

wow.
well it COULD be that his chain was slack and it skipped teeth on the cam sprocket.
in 89-90 S13's i always suspect the timing gear. that is usually the only engine failure on these cars.
so pull off the valve cover.
set the crank pully at TDC and the cam markings should line up. if not,the timing jumped and thats your problem. for the most part.

i wish i had a diagram t post so you could see the timing marks.
here found ya sumthing. you don't have to remove the oil pan to complete this procedure.

technical service bulliten