General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

Nismo motor mounts and tanabe strut bar?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 09:56 PM

Unhappy Nismo motor mounts and tanabe strut bar?

so nismo motor mounts raise the engine in the engine bay? because we had the tanabe front strut bar on the car with stock sh@tty mounts. after replacing them there is no way in hell that bar is going back on the motor sits way higher in the bay. i was thinking maybe after they break in a bit it Might just bearly make it. if not i was thinking taking the front struts out and replacing the studs that are in the tein camber plates with longer ones and maybe having spacer plates made to raise the strut bar mounts.
any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-24-2006, 01:10 AM

From everything I have read it seems that it only raises it on the SOHC KA. As for the bar, you could eliminate it all together or try to find a bar that works. I dunno about longer studs on the camber plates and spacers though.
Old 05-24-2006, 02:30 PM

i have heard that the nismo mounts raise the dohc as well, though slightly. I've also heard that this caused problems with some people due to their strutbar. If i remember correctly tanabe was one of the companies that did not clear the engine, while most others did. Dont quote me on this, just wat i can remember off the top of my head at the moment.
Old 05-24-2006, 07:34 PM

what do you mean by one that works? i noticed a huge difference when it was on the car.
i know ive read sumthing about the tanabe strut once before i had this problem but i cant seem to find it anywhere.
does anybody know if the nismo bar clears the single cam with the mounts?
Old 05-25-2006, 03:48 AM

By find a bar that works, I meant find one that is made with more angle to fit over the engine, not that it didn't serve its purpose.
Old 05-25-2006, 07:47 PM
Contributing Member

nismo motor mounts DO NOT raise you motor wether its dohc, sohc or sr... I returns the motor to stock height. Compare them side by side with no weight, and you can see the factory ones are the same, just worn down
Old 05-25-2006, 08:20 PM

the reason i asked what you ment by one that worked was because ive read that strut bars with adjustable ends dont work but i noticed a huge difference.
so now that leaves me guessing the tanabe bar is made for the Sr or De? and not the single cam? so the single cam im guessing has a taller deck height then either of the other motors?