General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

Nissan designers on crack?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2003, 02:55 AM

Nissan designers on crack?

What's going on with the design team at our beloved automobile company?

Consider the clean lines of the 240sx (all gen.s), the understated musculature of the 90's Maximas and Pathfinders, and even - if you want to go back a-ways - the brash, "I dare you to mess with me" design of the 280sx.

I thought the Xterra was a good sign of fresh thinking at Nissan. And I can tolerate the looks of 350z. But now we have to see the Murano. And here comes the new "Skyline" with its hideous engine condom (if you don't know what I'm talking about, check Haisai's post "Some pics from Nissan dealer in Okinawa" on this board). I thought all this was bad enough, but now, fresh insult: the 2004 Maxima.

Is it just me, or has the Nissan design dept. gone completely off its rockers? I'm all for fresh thinking and such, but too much of it leads to the Pontiac Aztec and Vibe.

Nissan, bring back the magic!

shift_timelessdesign

M.
Old 03-03-2003, 05:45 PM

I feel ya. It seems like every car company now is trying to make "cars of the future look" like from the ealry 30's or 40's or something. A fad im hoping will soon pass. They try to make everything futuristic looking and sleak and all they get is sleak ugly boxes on wheels. I think alot of companys (Namely Honda and Nissan) should revert back to their old designs or at least take come inspiration from them because all the cars theyve been pumping out just keep getting uglier and uglier. Just like the kids around here....i swear every generation is smaller and uglier than the last...must be something in the food...
Old 03-03-2003, 07:05 PM
Contributing Member

Middle-of-the road designs sell cars in the US. I know it's not very exciting for us, but the Maxima buyer is usually also looking at cars like the Camry, Accord and Taurus - hardly inspiring designs. The Maxima has always been a conservatively designed car.

The 350Z in definitely nice. I can't see how anyone could be comlaining about that car. If anything, the Z is complete evidence of them getting back to their roots. A simple car with stunning performance for a great price. Something that hasn't been seen from Nissan since the 70's.

The Murano and FX45 are ugly as all hell. Doesn't matter to me, all SUV's are crap in my eyes. If they have to sell a batch of rolling turd Murano's to fund R&D on a sports car I guess I'll put up with looking at the god aweful things.

And now we're complaining about the G35 too? For 8 years I've been listening to people on Nissan boards cryig because we don't get the Skyline. Nissan finally brings us the Skyline (G35 IS the Skyline) and all people do is complain!

Let's be realistic for a second here - who here owns a new Nissan? We're a bunch of people devoted to a car that hasn't been produced in large numbers since 1993, hardly Nissan's target audience for its new cars.

-Justin
Old 03-03-2003, 09:19 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Justin.b

The 350Z in definitely nice. I can't see how anyone could be comlaining about that car. If anything, the Z is complete evidence of them getting back to their roots. A simple car with stunning performance for a great price. Something that hasn't been seen from Nissan since the 70's.

The Murano and FX45 are ugly as all hell.

ha ha ha

i think the 350z is ****ing sexy

and i think the murano is ugly as ****
Old 03-03-2003, 09:29 PM
Banned

This post was edited and the picture deleted by the moderator because it was inappropriate and had nothing to do with the topic.

rbboyl

Last edited by rbboyl; 03-04-2003 at 12:08 PM.
Old 03-04-2003, 07:45 AM

Nissan is still bringing out some really good looking performance cars such as the 350z, G35 coupe, Silvia, and the skyline GT-R, I think looks pretty good....it's one of those cars that if you saw up close and personal then you would like it and the optional V8 that they are talking about would be tight if it came true. Imports are finally going to show the domestic what they are made of when they come out with the Import V8's.
Old 03-04-2003, 09:04 AM

we're complaining ebcause we didn't get the REAL skylines... we got some POS v-6 skyline thats ugly as hell... damn it i want an r33
Old 03-04-2003, 12:01 PM
Banned

Also another inappropriate post, please don't post such things again or you will be banned.

Last edited by rbboyl; 03-04-2003 at 12:09 PM.
Old 03-04-2003, 12:15 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by EvilCerealBoX
we're complaining ebcause we didn't get the REAL skylines... we got some POS v-6 skyline thats ugly as hell... damn it i want an r33
The G35 IS the Skyline. It is, it is. Really, no room for interpretation. The G35 is the Skyline.

The Skyline GTR will look like the G35 coupe. There may be a couple of slight changes, but that is what it will look like. At the moment there is no GTR available in Japan on the new chassis either.

And if you want a GTR, just go to skylinegtr.com. Motorex has been selling them road ready and legal in the US for years now.

-Justin
Old 03-04-2003, 02:24 PM

The G35 IS the Skyline. It is, it is. Really, no room for interpretation. The G35 is the Skyline.
i know that... but what i mean is... its like a completely different car now... v-6 and everything... i can't even consider it a skyline at this point...same with the new GT-R ,its also a v-6
Old 03-04-2003, 04:47 PM
Contributing Member

The RB would not pass new emissions standards in Japan.

The current GTR in Japan, if I remember correctly, is running a V6 very similar to the one from the Z32TT. It's a 3 liter VQ30DETT.

WHy are you so down on the V6? The current V6 is probably Nissan's most developed engine - and it's knocking at the door of 300hp n/a with a broad torque curve. It's no slouch.

-Justin
Old 03-04-2003, 05:47 PM

i don't care... if its not an inline 6... its not a skyline
Old 03-04-2003, 06:05 PM
Contributing Member

i don't care... if its not an inline 6... its not a skyline
I'm shocked and amazed that Nissan didn't check with you first. If you catch one, you can voice your disapproval to the wildly grinning owner. I'm sure his smile will instantly turn to a frown and his performance numbers will immediately dip below those of a Focus wagon.

-Justin
Old 03-04-2003, 06:34 PM

smartass
Old 03-04-2003, 06:47 PM
Contributing Member

smartass

Quick Reply: Nissan designers on crack?