General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

Power steering hose replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2006, 03:07 PM

Power steering hose replacement

It's my cars turn to get her power steering hose replaced. I realize that replacing the actual hose itself is not tricky. It's flushing the fluid out which can be tricky though.

I plan on doing all this myself, since I find it funny Nissan wanted to charge me $240 to do it. So, please bear with me.. because I've never touched a thing under the hood of my car in fear of breaking something.. lol.

My fiance is going to watch and help a bit too. I just need to know if anything is absolutely tricky? I know this fix is a total "do-it-yourself" one.

I have to replace it because of a small leak, so for the most part, the old stuff needs flushed out and all that fun stuff. Sorry if I am rambling.

Any help/advice for me ahead of time? I already searched, so don't be a jerk.
Old 03-27-2006, 12:52 PM

I've had to do this so many times because the people who replaced mine the first time put power steering fluid in my reservoir. Use ATF that is what nissan recommends.

Bleed Hydraulic System
1. Raise front end of the vehicle until wheels clear ground
2. Add fluid into oil tank to specified level. Meanwhile, quickly turn steering wheel fully to right and left and lightly touch steering stoppers.
Repeat steering wheel operation until fluid level no longer decreases.
3. Start engine.
repeat step 2

As long as you have the reservoir open the system will work out the bubbles. Second all the old oil you have in the system now will come out when you replace the hose. This is also on the 6 page of the ST section of the FSM.
Old 03-30-2006, 08:42 AM

I have to get another oil change? Sorry, I'm like, really caffieneted right now and I don't know if I understood that correctly.
Old 03-31-2006, 03:38 AM

No you don't have to get another oil change. If you have already replaced the PS hose then you already put new oil in it. If you haven't replaced the hose it will drain all the old oil out.