General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

Quick Q's

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2003, 09:11 PM

Quick Q's

I recently visited this web site, http://**********/faq/articles/shifti...th_an_auto.htm , and I did as it says. I do feel lots more power and it shifts faster and at higher rpms. This is for autos only, I know it sucks, but is there any long term damage. I hooked it back up after I tried it and nothing is wrong with my car. So all you tech gurus out there, could you explain some problems that could go wrong and if you recommend it.
Old 10-02-2003, 03:11 AM

I dont have an automatic so im not able to test it out. But the clunk as he says when it shifts into gear doesnt sound to good. The tranny isnt built up to shift that hard most likely. But im not sure.

Robbie
Old 10-02-2003, 08:44 AM

Actually the "loud knock" in the transmission that you hear is actually not loud. You can just feel it place into gear when sitting in the car. I am not planning on unhooking it and driving around, I am only gonna use it when I race to hopefully take some time off of the times. What it actually does is makes it shift like a manual, but without having to. It also shifts at a higher RPM in 1st and 2nd which will help if I am racing a manual. Again, I'm not planning on doing this daily just every once and a good while when I race.
Old 10-02-2003, 09:51 AM

I dont see how it could shift like a manual but.....if it works it works.

Robbie
Old 10-02-2003, 10:19 PM

When I was refering to 'Shift like a manual', I ment it as shifting at higher rpms and faster. I know it's now a 5-speed and yes I can dry a 5-speed, my mazda truck is a 5-speed.
Old 10-03-2003, 01:52 PM
Regulate

Ever since I've read that article, I've wondered the same thing. I haven't tried it, but I've haven't heard a definite answer whether it is bad for your tranny or not. Maybe someone will drive with it unhooked for an extended period of time and let us know the results?

But anyways, some say the only reason it's there is so you get a more comfortable (less head jerking shift) so it's ok not to have it on, but others say having that softer shifting doesn't wear down your tranny us much. So I have no clue.
Old 10-03-2003, 01:58 PM
Contributing Member

i would trust that nothing really bad will happen...its from **********, which IMO is a respectable site, which wouldnt want us to have to throw out an arm and a leg for a new tranny...
Old 10-14-2003, 08:00 PM

i woudlnt try it...i wouldnt take a chance at ruining the smoothness of the tranny...and i dont wanna replace the tranny...thats just stupid..

put your automatic 240sx into D....turn your stereo up...and drive the speed limit...sometiems even slower...just CRUISE...thats fun too...thats what an automatic is good for.

if you wanna shift like a manual get a manual....dont risk the health of your engine or anything.
Old 10-17-2003, 01:08 AM

i have too been wondering this since im stuck with an auto for the time being. but i guess nobody knows huh?
Josh
Old 10-17-2003, 06:19 AM
Contributing Member

I tried that one day! lol.

I drove it around the block, disconnected that thing and then reconnected it again. MAN. Whenever it shifted, it felt like the car was going to die! That sensor is the transmission pressure regulator, it helps make your shifting smooth and makes sure the pressure is good. after about 4 shifts I couldn't stand it anymore it was so crappy to go into another gear, that I decided then and there it wasn't worth it to be .1 seconds faster, lol.

I'm not sure about longterm damage, I bet your tranny would wear out quicker because of how hard it is without the pressure being regulated.

Dr.
Old 10-17-2003, 02:32 PM

Wire it to a WOT switch and slap on a tranny cooler, and you wont have to worry about wearing down the tranny. At partial throttle, its fairly harsh on the tranny, but at WOT, it will actually help prolong the life of the automatic transmission. Not to mention, the more power you add to the tranny, the more it will slip, this mod (only if you do some sort of WOT switch or similar and a tranny cooler) will make it so it doesnt slip, which = better ET times, and it will extend the life of the transmission.
Old 10-17-2003, 05:18 PM

yea i was thinkin about sumthing like a switch. i was thinkin about putting a switch right by the shifter to turn it on and off whenever i wanted without having to pop the hood (that is if i liked it or not) we'll see sometime next week when i get my car back and i'll post back with whatever feed back i can.
Josh
Old 10-20-2003, 03:05 PM

i'm thinking about giving it a try jsut to experience what it feels like...but i really dont think its a good idea
Old 10-30-2003, 12:07 AM

Well i tried it and...

i didnt notice a whole ton of difference. just seemed like it was shifting with more performance in mind. shifted a lil quicker and let the engine rev a lil higher before it shifted. didnt shift overly hard lil i expected. it was just a more sporty feeling auto tranny.
Just my $.02
Josh