General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

removal of transmission

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 09:33 PM

removal of transmission

So im taking my tranny off so i can replace my clutch, where am i supposed to unbolt the driveshaft from??? Where the Ujoint is, or where the first shaft of the DS connects to the trans??
Old 03-02-2007, 10:43 PM
Contributing Member

unbolt from the diff, then unbolt from the u joint and pull it out of the tranny.
Old 03-03-2007, 12:38 AM

yeah i figured it out after i posted that. Now i need to know how to lower the end of the engine so i can get at all the bolts for the bellhousing. Man this transmission is alot of work. So i have the driveshaft off, the crossmember off, and a jack under the tranny.
Old 03-03-2007, 03:39 AM
Contributing Member

happpy birthday from me to you

http://www.club240.com/forums/showth...0&pagenumber=1
Old 03-03-2007, 11:28 AM
Contributing Member

just watch with the trans fluid spilling out. If it gets on the driveway mom wont be too happy!!!
Old 03-03-2007, 11:32 PM

Oh my god Biggamehit you are my hero!!! But how did you get to all the bolts for the tranny? Like the ones on top of the bellhousing...
Old 03-04-2007, 10:27 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by AZdrifterS13
Oh my god Biggamehit you are my hero!!! But how did you get to all the bolts for the tranny? Like the ones on top of the bellhousing...
there are 3 that are hard get out, ONE of which is a complete PITA. It took me 2 and a half hours of cursing and driving back and forth to Sears to find the right tool to get it out. Just have to find the right wrench, WD40, some finesse and patience. It'll come off eventually. Lowering the engine or moving things about to get easier access is significantly more work...
Old 03-04-2007, 03:39 PM
Contributing Member

well i don't have emission etc so the back of my motor is clear but i have delt with motors that have all the stuff

to make it easy unbolt the egr tube and move it out the way.

i just used and long 14mm wrench with the closed end to get the bolts off at the very top

and i also left the top two bolts off like 3 years ago lol so i don't have to deal with that bs.

ps

MY hand looked like a cat clawed the hell out of it after my first time getting them off. thats why i didn't put them back on lol.
Old 03-04-2007, 05:31 PM
Contributing Member

im taking autotech at school right now and we've pulled a few trannys. we use like a 3 foot long extension to get to the bellhousing bolts, but of course we have a lift and power tools so that option might be out of the question for you.
Old 03-04-2007, 05:50 PM
Contributing Member

well for that bolt a power tool is to bulky to fit in that space.

i have done my tranny in the air and on the ground plenty of time. an lift is not needed. but helps lol.
Old 03-04-2007, 06:26 PM
Contributing Member

dont u hate those damn pesky hard to reach bolts?
Old 03-04-2007, 07:04 PM
Contributing Member

no no no

i hate bolts at a stupid angle. i dont like to use swiviles you could strip a bolt if that **** slips off

also i hardly use wd40 if i cant spray it at the base of the bolt. the reason being is. wd40 makes the head of the bolt prone to stripping.
Old 03-04-2007, 10:44 PM

god this is the biggest pain in the *** i have had to deal with in my short time working on cars. I'm definitely not putting the top one, and most likely the other one back on, if i ever do get them off. I really dont even see how it is possible to get the very top bolt...everything else is in the way. idk, but this is gonna take a long *** time. thanks guys
Old 03-05-2007, 03:04 AM

ohhhh dang...here I am with my tranny on the ground, i finally got it off. it only took me about 3 hours, plus about 45 mintues to clean myself up! Tomorrow I'll be pulling and replaceing my clutch. God i can't wait to get back on the road with my car. Imagine how it feels to finally get a 240 and the less then a week later, the clutch is slipping like crazy so you can't drive it!!! Horrible!! Biggamehit you are seriously my hero, I dont know if i would have even gotten the tranny off with out your help.Thanks alot man. One more question: Is there a break in period for the clutch? I dont think it said anything on the instructions.
Old 03-05-2007, 10:50 AM
Contributing Member

general break in time is 500 miles of mild engagement. if you rev match like me to down shift just don't slip up and let the clutch engage very hard ( shift lock). the last thing you wanna do is glaze the clutch. also i generally stay below 3500 rpms

i just broke mine all the way in in one trip to philly. if i were you i would just find a place far away to visit.

you can look up a girl on myspace and go meet her or something lol

glad i could help you bro. i think ill do more DIY. i have done everything on my car, after i did this write up, i really didn't get the responses that i thought, so i said screw it... but its important to do things like this to help people who want to do their own work.

Quick Reply: removal of transmission