General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

removal of transmission

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 05:40 PM

Damn!!! I can't get my flywheel off cause the bolts are stuck and i can't get em off cause the flywheel just spins...I tried the hammer method Biggamehit, but it would just spin the flywheel. What am I supposed to do?
Old 03-05-2007, 06:22 PM
Contributing Member

you have to take an 27mm socket with a breaker bar and place it on the crank. rest that against the control arm. it would help if you had another breaker bar. i did that write up a while ago. and the hammer method didn't work out well. i only managed to break one of the bolts lose and then i borrowed my buddies impact.

but like i said, if you have a long breaker bar and you brace the other side of the crank, you can break them loose.
Old 03-05-2007, 11:48 PM

OK I got the flywheel off, and i got a new flywheel. But now a have another problem...the pilot bushing puller i rented, doesnt fit. The little arms are to big to go into the bearing to pull it out. I dont know what to do. It was hard enough trying to find that one, and now I'm going to have to get a smaller one? God I am just so frustrated now. This is the 5 day my car has been up on jackstands in my garage, and i aam growing tired of it. damn!

EDIT: Nevermind, i got the dumb bushing out, i just had to angle the puller weird. Now I'm happy again

Last edited by AZdrifterS13; 03-06-2007 at 12:11 AM.
Old 03-06-2007, 03:07 AM
Contributing Member

yea bro. you are doing better then alot of folks. yea my first one only took me 2 hr or so..... but hang in there. trust me your time will drop every time that you do it man.

good work
Old 03-06-2007, 08:11 PM

how did you possibly do it in 2 hours your first time!?!? Your crazy! It took me five days of working on it here and there just to get the tranny off, and i still have to put it back on!!! But yeah the next time I have to do this, it will be way faster, since i know how to get past all the problems i have had to deal with.
Old 03-06-2007, 11:50 PM

OK so i'm stuck once again, a can't figure out how to get the tranny back on. I cant line the splines up because the top of the bellhousing hits the tranny tunnel. I'm so damn frustrated with this ****. I'm running out of patience to keep dealing with problems. Everytime I think it should be smooth sailing from here out, but i just keep getting held up by something new. Any suggestions on how to get the tranny back on?
Old 03-07-2007, 01:39 PM
Contributing Member

well before i bought my 240 i had already built alot of honda's. nuts and bolts are all the same to me lol. also when i pulled my first tranny at the junkyard I made mental notes. It took me about 3 hours or so alone to get everything off years ago..

ok this is where you will need a buddy to help

- get a jack with wheels on it and a piece of wood to roll the jack on

-if you can, pick the tranny up so that the second person can slid the jack under the tranny.

-if not tilt the back end( lighter end) of the tranny up in the air and have the person slide the jack into the center of the tranny ( about where the drain plug is)

- have the jacker crank the tranny up. while he/she is doing so move the bell housing toward the block. if you need a break and your arms are tired, jack the tranny up against the tranny tunnel and take a break.

** tranny must be as straight as possible when doing this**

** LUBE THE INPUT SHAFT**

-once you have cleared the diaphragm ( little finger looking things on pressure plate)and the shaft rest against the clutch,

you can shake it left and right. or have another person take a 27mm socket and rotate the crank while you push forward. and it will pop on. once that happens jack the tranny against the tranny tunnel and insert your bolts.

- you will have to use the bolts to draw the tranny to the block. make sure you don't tighten down one side all the way becuase you will put alot of stress on the input shaft and bell housing.

I did this without an tranny jack on the ground because i could pick up the tranny while laying down. don't hurt yourself bro. you could rent a floor tranny jack from local auto stores. or if you have a buddy with an bike jack that would work, they almost look the same
Old 03-08-2007, 05:49 AM

Ok Well I got the tranny back on, all by myself. I used a jack to get it up there and i kinda just pushed it up the rest of the way. I dont really even know how it worked, i just know that i was messing with it for along time, and it finally slid on. I had a hell of a time just trying to get the input shaft in the hole for the clutch. I put a jack under the oil pan, loosened the motor mounts a bit, and then raise the front of the engine, to in turn lower the rear of it. then once the input shaft was in the whole, it took me forever the get the splines to match up so i could push the tranny all the way together, again I dont know how it happen, i was just pushing on it and it slid on. Whatever, as long as it is back on there! So basically everything is back on, all i have to do now is bleed the clutch lines cause something happened with with my slave cyl that made it extend all the way out, so it wouldn't fit right, so i had to pull the lines so i could compress it to get it back on. Now i just have to wait till later when i can have my step dad help me bleed it. I cant wait to get it off those damn jackstands. I hope i didn't mess something up.
Old 03-08-2007, 05:24 PM
Contributing Member

you have to bleed the clutch no matter what bro, your fine. there was only one time that i installed a clutch and didn't have to bleed it right away.

as long as you lubricated the points that have lots of friction, made sure you installed the fork correctly and aligned clutch and tq it down properly, you will be fine. now start your 500 mile break in.

Last edited by Biggamehit; 03-08-2007 at 05:26 PM.
Old 03-08-2007, 10:47 PM

Yup so i bled the lines, and got it on the road. It seems to be working good. This is officially the biggest task i have ever done on a car. It was funny, i drove it up to the grocery store near my house, and i pulled up and a couple guys were standing out there talking and one said to me, hey i'll sell you a turbo manifold for your car. So i went over there and he pulled it out and it looked like one of those ebay specials you know, but he only wanted 80 bucks for it. I almost bought it but it was just too risky and its not like i am gonna have to rest of the thousand or so dollars i would need to complete the kit so it would have been pointless. But its all good, i'm gonna work on getting some nice NA power for now. Thanks so much Biggamehit for all your help, you seriously saved me so much time and headache.
Old 03-09-2007, 06:40 AM
Contributing Member

well just a note

i built my initial turbo kit for only 800 dollars

and it featured an ssac manifold and has been running since august 06 with track time.

second gen ssac manifolds are fine do to the additional bracing and better welds.

Last edited by Biggamehit; 03-09-2007 at 06:46 AM.
Old 03-10-2007, 09:49 AM

I want to go turbo!!! I need a welder. But so now i have a problem with my clutch. I was driving i, on the freeway, i was keeping it under 3500, usually staying around 3000 rpm. I was in 5th, and i kinda accidently reved it, but it just slipped. And now if i drive on it for any period of time, it will start slipping. I looked at the old clutch, and it looks totally worn out, so I'm sure that it needed to be replaced. I dont know man. What could cause the clutch to slip besides a worn disc??? AH!
Old 03-11-2007, 03:59 AM
Contributing Member

just relaxe bro and continue to drive it normally. a few seconds is not going to hurt. you have many more miles to go.

but if you got any oil on the matting surfaces, that would cause slippage
Old 03-11-2007, 09:29 PM

well even if i drive it normally, it will start slipping after a while. Should I just wait it out, and hope that it stops? Does it usually slip when you install a new one? I'm just so scared that i glazed the new one or something, and that i'm gonna have to start all over again. idk man. I just want to drive my car!
Old 03-11-2007, 09:36 PM
Contributing Member

well honestly if you were ripping it up, yes you could have glazed it over.

i would give a couple more weeks or normal driving. if you have to, you may have to take it back down and sand the clutch off and start over. I have been there before due to TO bearing. had to pull the tranny back down very next day one time

Quick Reply: removal of transmission