General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

removing cruise control

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by USMCDrifter
LMAO! As soon as I read "autocross" I understood completely . .

In that case, removing your inner fender wells also removes weight and allows for cooling, just don't leave em off in the rain, a good puddle can and WILL hydrolock your engine if you pull enough water in.

Yeah, I honestly thought you were some kid trying to get "faster on the touge". I really hate those . . .but if you're a man of your word, you seem like you are, I believe you and I take your word for it. If you are indeed autocrossing, the only classes that do not allow the accessories to be removed are the stock classes. Outside of those you are good.

Is this for the SCCA, the NASA? I'm no longer a member of the SCCA but I'm still an NASA member. Which class do you plan on running? If you plan on doing STS or STX, then you're going to run into a LOT of scrutiny when you get into stuff like that. ESPECIALLY in the SCCA. Most are there for fun, but a lot are there for the win. If you win, they'll seem suspicious, especially when you win by a small margin. They're QUICK to scrutinize cars and will pull that card quickly. I'd hate to see you lose your car for 24 hours just because someone thinks you're cheating.

But yeah, start a thread in the Auto-X/Road Racing forums and we'll chat more about it there. Let us know what your plans are and how you plan on carrying them out, we have enough autocrossers, road racers and track drifters here to give you all of the help/suggestion you need.

-Dave
thanks man i appreciate the good words. i am a SCCA member (as far as i know NASA doesnt do autox) and i race in STS class, although i think i will eventually move up to DSP, because you are right there are just way too many rules and not enough mods allowed in STS. and i really appreciate the good comments about autox. unfortunately here in arizona our local forum (az**********) is full of drifters. and i mean full, i only know of 2 other guys that autox after meeting about 100 different people at a 240 BBQ. anyway they talk crap to anyone that doesnt use their 240 soley for drifting. not that i have anything against drifting, i just like organized racing against my peers better, and i wish the 240 owners here in arizona were a little more open minded.

anyways thats my little rant. and ill try to chat more in the autox threads as i am finally starting to get decent at it and am able to give some tips and advice after 2 years of autox'n.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:22 PM

i was just reading through my own post and noticed that the forum ******ed the website that i typed in, why is that?
Old 11-20-2008, 08:59 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ilikegofast
i was just reading through my own post and noticed that the forum ******ed the website that i typed in, why is that?
Not sure, if i click to edit your post i can't see it either. is there a naughty word in the hyperlink?
Old 11-20-2008, 10:08 PM
Contributing Member

well a while back someone programed in something that would blank out other fourms names.. i think its stupid, but people have their reasons.
Old 11-20-2008, 11:39 PM

i jus pulled my cruise control out a couple days ago, for one it dodnt work, 2 it was super easy to pull out, and 3 its makes the engine bay cleaner
i have an s14, and on that there was a vaccum pump mounted right below the diaphram that pulled the cable for the cruise, soo all i had ta do was take the cable off the throttle, take the diaphram off, pull the diaphram off the ONE vaccum line, the vaccum line jus goes from the pump to the diphram, then pull out the vaccum pump, otherwise theres no other plumbing or nething that needs to be done or blocked off
and mine was mounted on the inner fender so when i took it out there was open holes into the fender well so i plugged those

you probably already figured that all out by now, but o well, an sry for no pics
Old 11-21-2008, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by fadedsilvia
i jus pulled my cruise control out a couple days ago, for one it dodnt work, 2 it was super easy to pull out, and 3 its makes the engine bay cleaner
i have an s14, and on that there was a vaccum pump mounted right below the diaphram that pulled the cable for the cruise, soo all i had ta do was take the cable off the throttle, take the diaphram off, pull the diaphram off the ONE vaccum line, the vaccum line jus goes from the pump to the diphram, then pull out the vaccum pump, otherwise theres no other plumbing or nething that needs to be done or blocked off
and mine was mounted on the inner fender so when i took it out there was open holes into the fender well so i plugged those

you probably already figured that all out by now, but o well, an sry for no pics
thanks man, that was exactly the info i was looking for, especially since you have a zenki like me did you happen to weigh the parts you took out? and ya cleaning up the look off the engine bay would be a bonus too.

anyway the site is a z 2 4 0 s x . o r g , and ya that is weird that this forum wont let you type the names of other forums (no naughty words )
Old 11-23-2008, 05:45 AM

hey i also wanted to ask, anyone living in a hot state/city (like me in phoenix) removed the a/c? i was just wondering if i should with the 115 degree summers here. but the 2-3 hp gain and 25lb loss is really temping me. keep in mind this is not my daily driver, so any opinions? maybe ill start a poll....
Old 11-23-2008, 06:25 AM
Contributing Member

it was never about hp to me... i just wanted it gone.. **** was broken... and it cluttered the engine bay. also I wanted space to run my fans with my Intercooler. that is all lol..
Old 12-14-2008, 03:05 PM

Hey, I need a speed control for my car since the previou owner removed it instead of fixing it. Care to send me a price for it??
Old 12-14-2008, 07:40 PM

if its not ur DD, is it a dedicated track car? or do u still drive it often on the streets? if its not ur DD and ur willing to put up with jus having windows all open on hot days then id say go for it, that an without the condensor urll get a lil more airflow to the radiator
i live in wisconsin, so most of the time its coldish here, but in the summer it gets really humid an my honda prelude i had before my zenki i removed the A/C an it didnt really bother me much at all, the GF hated it, but i didnt care

o, and no i didnt weigh the cruise control parts but they were very light, if i had to guess id say maybe a pound or 2

Last edited by fadedsilvia; 12-14-2008 at 07:43 PM. Reason: im probably half retarded
Old 12-15-2008, 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by fadedsilvia
if its not ur DD, is it a dedicated track car? or do u still drive it often on the streets? if its not ur DD and ur willing to put up with jus having windows all open on hot days then id say go for it, that an without the condensor urll get a lil more airflow to the radiator
i live in wisconsin, so most of the time its coldish here, but in the summer it gets really humid an my honda prelude i had before my zenki i removed the A/C an it didnt really bother me much at all, the GF hated it, but i didnt care

o, and no i didnt weigh the cruise control parts but they were very light, if i had to guess id say maybe a pound or 2
hmmmm ok still not sure if i will do it yet or not, as i am told its not allowed in ST class with the SCCA, but thanks for all the info man.
Old 12-15-2008, 06:37 AM

I don't know man, I like my A/C and my Power Steering, makes motorsport much more enjoyable . . .

-Dave
Old 12-15-2008, 09:33 AM
Contributing Member

1) do you ever plan to sell the car?
2) do you like to sweat your butt off
3) it's an s14 not an s13.... don't do it
4) if you're not professionally competing in autox,
-no reason to do this
-it doesn't matter what class you're in
Old 12-15-2008, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by silviaks2nr
-no reason to do this
QFT!

-Dave
Old 12-15-2008, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by silviaks2nr
-no reason to do this
in case i didn't say this before i have decided i have decided to not remove the A/C, and i never wanted to remove the power steering, as yes it does make motorsports a whole lot easier. however jury is still out on the cruise control.

Quick Reply: removing cruise control