General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

S13 Harness Bar

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2005, 01:14 AM

S13 Harness Bar

So I got a hair up my *** and decided I needed a harness bar. Being I could only find one place that made them, and it is $400, I decided to make one. It is made of 1 1/16" thickwall steel tube, and 1 1/4" wide x 1/4" thick plates for the brackets. So far, I have only got the main bar in, and working on support bars that go down and bolt to the floor where the seatbelts do. The main bar is bolted to the place where the seatbelt bolts to in the B-pillar. As it sits right now, it passed tech at the track, except they said next time I come, I need hoops welded on to hold the harnesses in place. Two guys can grab the bar and shake it till the car seems like it is going to tip over, so I am not too worried about its strength, especially after I get the support bars in. So far, I have only $25, and about 3hrs time invested into it. After it is done, I am going to clean it up with a grinder, and get it poweder-coated. It is a great cheap way to put harnesses in the car, and it noticeably stiffened the body of the car up, even with the Greddy front and rear strut bars already. Just thought everyone might wanna check it out, I may even make some more for a small price. I will post the final pics in about a week when I get time to finish it.

Old 06-19-2005, 01:51 AM
Contributing Member

i like the idea... and if it is as stron as it looks i would never worry about it... if you could get the bar mandral bent so that you would not need the flat bar then i would buy it... looks good and strong i look forward to the final pics...
Old 06-19-2005, 01:57 AM

Unfortunately, I don't know anywhere around here that has a mandrel bender, and that would be damn tricky because of the angle that the B-pillar sits at (something like this: / \ , plus they are cocked inward just enough to make it suck). That bar was way more of a ***** than it looks like to make that damn thing fit.
Old 06-19-2005, 02:49 AM
Contributing Member

i bet it is... there is no question about it... anyone who has been in their back seat can tell... you have given me inspiration tho... im going to look and see what i can come up with as far as bending the tubes to fit in there ... then on top of that capping the ends and welding plugs over the bars and installing a machined sleeve through the pipe for a mounting point where the seatbelt mounts are... i will mock it up with electrical conduit and see where my bend points are... then i might be able to get you a bend sheet on it so you can duplicate what i find...
Old 06-19-2005, 05:08 AM
Contributing Member

cool design man,

i love modders on a budget, im def one.

post the final product