General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

S13 v. S14

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 04:12 PM

Originally posted by xam
i got a s14 zenki and for personal preference its my favorite 240 in the world. but i wouldnt take it to its limits at the track if the track had walls. i dont want to break her. but i wouldnt mind a s13 coupe to rip up at the track and take it to its limits, since its older and easier and cheaper to fix.
i think all us s14 owners feel the same way......
Old 12-05-2005, 04:39 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by BigVinnie
For a guy with 78 posts you should learn to read through entire threads....Hatchbacks are what caused teh chassis flex not the coupes......240sx/s13 coupe is strong and rigid, more so than the s14....
He's right, the S14 is stiffer than the S13 coupe.
Old 12-05-2005, 10:59 PM

For a guy with 78 posts you should learn to read through entire threads....Hatchbacks are what caused teh chassis flex not the coupes......240sx/s13 coupe is strong and rigid, more so than the s14....
Wow, 1804 posts compared to my measly 78. What's that make you, an expert?

Hatchbacks don't "cause" chassis flex. Road irregularities and g forces do.

I'm not going to believe that the s13 coupe is stiffer than the s14 just because YOU say so. Did YOU design the s13 coupe and s14 chassis? All I asked is WHY would Nissan make the s14 LESS STIFF than the s13? That's backwards engineering and COMPLETELY STUPID.

Last edited by doriftomodachi; 12-05-2005 at 11:13 PM.
Old 12-05-2005, 11:08 PM

thought i dsont own a 240 YET...i will be getting a s13 fastback, becuz its cheaper, i think its better looking...and the s14 rear end loks to economical...
Old 12-06-2005, 03:54 PM

I love my s13 coupe I had a first year hatchback, I miss that one too. It's funny I actually remember saying to myself, why in the world does anyone want a 240??? I beat one,maybe two 'street racing' in my '94 alti. I also remember seeing the s14 kouki and just thinking it was so pointless. I was like "why would you want a 4cylinder 'funny' looking car, when you could have a 6cylinder tt Z? Why would Nissan waste their time making a car like this,it's rear wheel drive but, and the front just looks SO basic no design or style "
WOW am I eating my words now. I LOVE the S13 and plan to make my next 240 a kouki, cause I like this front better than the zenki. It started with seeing Dai Yoshihara's daily driver.
Old 12-06-2005, 05:39 PM

Originally posted by doriftomodachi
Wow, 1804 posts compared to my measly 78. What's that make you, an expert?
First I am assumming that you are a sarcastic *****.... I'm just going to ignore that comment. You just made my post 1805...LOL

Hatchbacks don't "cause" chassis flex. Road irregularities and g forces do.
Actually although road ways cause chassis flex the design and structure of the chassis is meant to prevent it from happening.
Kinda like how the Toyota Supra hardtop has a higher resale value than the Supra Targa tops. There is just too much flex, and movement in the chassis with the targa top.
Same concept between the s13 fast back, and the s13 coupe. Not only is the coupe lighter, but the body from the rear is more rigid only having a small lighter weight trunk lid, rather than the larger and heavier hatch back (which doesn't have any rigidity.)
Now take the s14 it's a HEAVIER car, and will deal with stronger lateral G's. Even though the subframe to the s14 was reinforced, the fact is, it's a heavier chassis.
Mostly what makes the strongest part of the chassis in the coupes is the wall that separates the trunk space from the passenger space. It's one feature that none of the fastbacks have. Overall the s13 coupe/silvia has the least amount of flex, lighter chassis weight, reinforcenment between the cab/trunk make it overall the better competitor with less flex. Regardless if the s14 subframe is reinforced it won't prevent chassis flex from high G forces and a heavy chassis weight.

I'm not going to believe that the s13 coupe is stiffer than the s14 just because YOU say so.
I wasn't asking you to believe me, but rather research the truth for yourself. The question was proposed, so start seeking for relative answers.... Fact is Ive driven s12's, s13's and s14's. I own a s13 and drove my friends s14 every other night he was wasted to drive.

[B]
Did YOU design the s13 coupe and s14 chassis?]
Of course not, stupid question..... But although I read your sarcasm.

All I asked is WHY would Nissan make the s14 LESS STIFF than the s13?
The s14 is a completly different design from the s13. It wasn't a matter of what is more or less stiff, it was just the design of having a more LUXURIOUS Sports coupe. It isn't a matter of what is less stiff both cars are very rigid, but the s14 is HEAVIER, it will flex as it pulls harder/faster Gforces (that is a fact).

That's backwards engineering and COMPLETELY STUPID.
I think you have it backwards. It isn't backwards engineering, it is completely different engineering.

Now ask the question why do people trade there s14's for s13's?

I can tell you it defenitely isn't the cost. Buying a car that is almost 17years old since it's first production date everything will need to get changed out (bushing's, suspension, brake system, etc) the older the car the more of the money pit that it becomes, the s13 defenitely isn't cheap or affordable as a project car.
So ask yourself why do people trade the s14 for the s13?

I think I answered most of it for you.

Last edited by BigVinnie; 12-06-2005 at 05:43 PM.
Old 12-06-2005, 05:41 PM
Contributing Member

So much love for my fastback.

I just love the way it looks from the front. The rear fenders roll out a little wider than the front, and the nose just screams "i'm gonna eat you up."

Not to mention, the balance and handling is AMAZING for its age + price. Its hott too.
Old 12-06-2005, 06:19 PM
Contributing Member

there are 3 trims of 14s and about 3 trims of 13 coupes... which two of the six are y'all comparing? If you compared an se s14 with a base s13 coupe of course the s14 will be more rigid and will handle better. overall i bet the s14 is more rigid, but i am probably just pulling this out of my *** because i am very bias towards s14s. In addition who cares what car is more rigid stock for stock, anyone that cares so much about the suspension is liable to upgrade it to ones personal preferance. im sure both s14silvia and you (vinnie) have
Old 12-06-2005, 06:19 PM
Contributing Member

LOL, it's all gravy baby~ one love fellas, 240 love.
Old 12-07-2005, 06:22 AM

Originally posted by silviaks2nr
there are 3 trims of 14s and about 3 trims of 13 coupes... which two of the six are y'all comparing?
Defenitely not comparing the s13convertibles those are the worst.....
Old 12-07-2005, 07:34 AM

BigVinnie:

Bravo! your post is the example of what all other post should be like: Baised or research, correct use of words and proper gramar. not to mention keeping your cool and beign smart by not following the "smart asses".

Now I owe a S13, Coupe, the very expensive model (don't know if its se, le, etc.) I have all the goodies like power windows, locks, heads updigital dysplay, cruise control, wing and Roof window (sun roof?). Now i wasn't tryign to brag (yes I was:P) but I think that to be a 13 almost 14 year old car, its pretty good. I've never experience understeer wiht the tires I have now, but with my previus 20$ used tires.... I could barely get it to drift. I guess its all in the tires and suspension.I trully love the shape of S13's. I like cars that have the "squareness" of a car. I trully hate anything thats hatchback, 3 door,w/e. If one thign that I don't like that much is the pop up lights, I like the silvia's better. Not because "it's JDM gansgta", But I like the regular headlight type, with squareness. Now when I bought this car it was a diferent story....

when I bought this car, I didn't know it was going to be a money pit like you guys said. I didn't even knew the whole "drifting and engine swaping stuff". I didn't know what a 240 was. But the point is, when I bought it this was wrong with it:

Roof behind "sun roof window" was rusting from underneath due to faulty seal.
All weather striping has been cracked, shrinked, discolored
The hood had rust from underneath, no way of repair, need new hood.
Seat covering was broken, had to fix and buy seat covers
Dash panel is cracked by sun
Power antenna doesn't work
Suspension bushings such as sway bar, and radiator housing were gone, suspension bushings in general are cracked but still work
Shocks were gone, original 14yr old shocks!!!
Power steering had no boots and leaking
Transmission leaking oil in 3 points and 1 hose
diferential leaking oil
Sepentine belt cracked and horrible sounds came from it
powersteering oil and brake oil had to be flushed
And the most disgusting thing: The air conditioning condenser inside the car was so full of dust, that it started to smell funny, had to buy a new one.

I'm pretty sure i'm missing a couple of thigns here, but up to this day, I only need to buy the gaskets for transmission and diferential, new hood, reapir roof and weather striping. Total of 2K$ to make it this far (1.3 years). Still need some body work $$$$. the good news? Well, now i can go to peopel and say "Hahaha!!! you tought this car was gona die on me!, now look at it, it handels liek a charm, runs good and its a 240!!!"

Original price paid:1,700
Repairs to today: 2,000
Still needed: about 1,400 (body work)

Last edited by Joel SX; 12-07-2005 at 07:36 AM.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:47 AM

You guys are all missing the major thing! S13= No CUPHOLDER!
I love my s13 but i have burnt my "cash and prizes" with hot drinks while driving all too many times! So in the end its the s14's that take the cake!
Old 12-07-2005, 11:59 AM

ever heard of retro fitting a cup holder urself? i mean by the 2nd time you burnt your "cash and prizes" you would have figured that out huh, guess not, hahaha mad ownage son, haha
Old 12-07-2005, 12:15 PM
Contributing Member

I can tell you it defenitely isn't the cost. Buying a car that is almost 17years old since it's first production date everything will need to get changed out (bushing's, suspension, brake system, etc) the older the car the more of the money pit that it becomes, the s13 defenitely isn't cheap or affordable as a project car.
So ask yourself why do people trade the s14 for the s13?

I think I answered most of it for you.
I completely agree with the rest of the post... but, i gotta disagree with this. I think buying an s13 thats in good shape will eliminate some of those problems, an s13 is no an overly expensive car.

The only thing wrong with my 89 is that the tie rods are a little worn out, but nothing really bad. the the rear rotors replaced. If it wasnt so cheap/tuning friendly i probably wouldnt ave bought mine
Old 12-07-2005, 03:59 PM

Originally posted by cleveland180
You guys are all missing the major thing! S13= No CUPHOLDER!
I love my s13 but i have burnt my "cash and prizes" with hot drinks while driving all too many times! So in the end its the s14's that take the cake!

Yes my friend, I could not have used better words. The cup holder lack is intensively powerfull. I alleady used the litle cigarrete ligther hole to put all my NOs and light and neon and subs switches, so I can't retrofit it. What I do is that I use the litle compartment behind the e-brake and put whatever soda there, then stuff the rest with a towel, and it keeps Stuff from moving. I've seen "240sx cup-holder" in Ebay, but It looks to Rice

Weird cupholder in a car known for performance and drifting= rice

And unlike popular belief, When I bought the car, I had no job. And it stayed with all the parts I mentioned broken for a year, before they all decided to explode and quit on me at he same time. I had to drive a beat up 86 Caravan. thats when I apreciated my car so mcuh. from now on, fix anythign thats old and its likely to break. BEFORE it does. lesson learned

Quick Reply: S13 v. S14