General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

S13 vs. S14

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2005, 08:55 AM

Originally posted by l2aine
about the same as if you put the best headers, exhaust, and intake money could buy on any other car powered by the KA24DE... you're not gaining anything. You're just freeing up what's there and getting the engine ready for higher numbers when you do serious engine work. I/H/E alone on a stock engine isn't really a power "adder".

I know someone's gonna ***** at this post

engine internal work, or FI, larger injectors, piggy back controllers, ecu reprogramming, larger fuel pumps, maf hotwire, sensor upgrades, NOS, super charging, turbo charging will increase CHP

External parts such as pulleys, intake, header, cat back exhaust, aluminum flywheel free up lost HP from degredation. The engine after all is a massive air pump.

Forms of degredation loss. There is drivetrain degredation, timing chain degredation, fan belt pulley degredation, and anemic degredation "such as header and CAT".

Although CHP will not change, RWHP does.
Old 03-01-2005, 09:07 AM

Out of the box the s13 understeers more. Since there are tons of parts out there for both cars (probably a tad more for the s13), both can be tweaked to however you want. I've had both and the only thing I dislike about the s13 is the automatic seatbelts (can be replaced with manual belts) and you have to do a 5 lug conversion if you want a better selection of wheels. Both can be done but for a price. The s14 has manual seatbelts and 5 lugs on the se model out of the box.
Old 03-01-2005, 01:05 PM

What are the automatic seat belts that people are talking about? Are these the ones that don't come off until you park the car or something?

doriftomodachi, you said the S13 understeers more? So essentially it's more difficult to get the S13 to slide than it would be in the S14?

What are some issues I should expect on an S13 in terms of maintenance and reliability? Are there some areas of the car that are just gone to **** after 15 or so years like the suspension or engine components?

On average, how much do most of you S13 spend in the way unexpected costs for parts and repairs, not including general maintenance. This question is directed more towards the s13 owners who use thier cars on a regular basis with the occasional performance driving that I'm sure most 240 owners are inclined to commit to every now and then.

Thanks again for all the info.
Old 03-01-2005, 01:09 PM

the auto seatbelts are the ones that have have a track going along the doorline, they slide back when door is closed and slide forward allowing you to get out when door is open. Also known to choke the **** out of unsuspecting people

Last edited by Bryan; 03-01-2005 at 01:45 PM.
Old 03-01-2005, 01:35 PM

Originally posted by MidnightDreamer

doriftomodachi, you said the S13 understeers more? So essentially it's more difficult to get the S13 to slide than it would be in the S14?
The understeer is fine for me. Since the chassi of the s13 coupe is lighter than an s14 it works great and I don't need to make as many steering corrections.
As far as handling "suspension" the s13 in my opinion handles much better, but since the production date of the s13 is older you may want to change to propelien bushings and a KYB/Tien suspension. After all the first s13 is over 17 years old.
Only problems that I have ran into since I bought my s13, was replacement of power steering hose, replacement of EGR valve, and a newer upgraded suspension. Other than that drifting is dreamy.
Old 03-01-2005, 05:59 PM
Contributing Member

No, I don't have an S13, but the understeer thing to me is invalid unless you plan on running a bone stock, factory fresh car with zero mods whatsoever. Even a slight change in tire pressure could conuter the understeer; if anything, the weight difference of the cars and the width are probably more important IMO