General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

SAFC-II Decel Setting Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2006, 08:23 PM

SAFC-II Decel Setting Help!!!

Ok i had another thread about this, but everytime i try to update it it messes up so I'm starting this one:

So to sum up, when ever I put the clutch in on my car and the RPM's are above 3000-4000 the rpm falls but doesnt go back to idle, it just dies. I have an atmosphereic BOV, and the motor is a turbo'd Nissan KA24DE. I am running an Apexi SAFC-II and I am just wondering what to do to the "decel" feature to prevent this from happening. Now i have to blip the throttle everytime to keep the rpms from falling off completely, and its getting embarassing when i forget and end up kiling it.

In the SAFC-II "settings" then under "decel" this is what it is set at now:

Thr ****
Ne1 1.5%
Ne2 4.0%

So what should I try putting these numbers to?

i'm not very familiar with the SAFC-II and not at all with the Decel setting and what its looking for, so if anyone could help that would be greatly appreciated!! I tried reading the manual but it was about as clear as a frosted window

Last edited by 70Challenger; 03-20-2006 at 08:25 PM.
Old 03-20-2006, 08:36 PM

Start when the car is cold. (after an overnight rest is the best way, but at least several hours without running)

Turn key on, go to decel air settings.

Set throttle to 1%.

Set NE1 to about 4.

Set NE2 to about 5.

Start car.

Adjust NE1 until you get a smooth idle while the engine is still cold. Now start turning it down as low as possible while still maintaining a good idle.

If the car starts sputtering and getting rough, you just went too low. Turn it back up very slowly until it smooths out. You want to leave NE1 on the lowest possible point with a good idle.

Now set NE2 to be about 1 higher than NE1.

This formula should eliminate any stalling or popping from the BOV being open.

Theory: Throttle setting tells the SAFC whenever the pedal is depressed less than 1%, the SAFC should control fuel and ignore everything else (including the MAF)

NE1 is the first RPM point you have selected in your NE Point settings. I put mine at 1000 rpm. I set NE2 at 3000, then NE3 at 4000, and so on in 1000 increments. Setting NE1 down at 1000 gives you the ability to control fuel at idle really well. Besides, you probably don't need to adjust anything between 1000 and 3000. (turbo spools after that, right?)

Setting the air flow percentage at NE1 is basically telling the SAFC a number to use whenever it reaches that RPM and less than the throttle setting. So, as the throttle is let off, the SAFC looks at the NE1 and NE2 points. As RPM rolls back, there is going to be a reduction in air into the engine, yet the MAF has already seen it. The stock ECU is attempting to send the fuel for that air that is now missing... hence your stalling and backfiring. The SAFC catches that signal, ignores it, then tells the ECU exactly how much air flow you have according to your DEC AIR settings at those RPM points. Get it?

RPM comes down, hits NE2, SAFC sees 10%. It tells the ECU it needs 5%. (because you picked that number.) Now the RPM won't dive so hard like it was. It reaches NE1, SAFC sees 6%, you told it 4% and it tells the computer only 4%. The idle sets steadily down to where its supposed to and everybody is happy.

Courtesy Of Hugh From Zeroyon
Old 03-20-2006, 08:36 PM

oops double post.........................

Hope it works out for you I used these same steps when I had mine it worked well.

Last edited by silviasichigo; 03-20-2006 at 08:54 PM.