General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

Silicone exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2004, 02:45 PM

Silicone exhaust?

I was thinking about doing this next month. But I have been reading alot about silicone piping which. so I've read. is able to withstand about 300 degrees F and minus 90. Since it is so durable it is used alot in the aero-space industry, jets ect... and I know alot of people that use it for home made turbo apps.

So I was thinking why spend $400 on an exhaust when I could spend like $40 on all the piping and bend pieces to make a costum exhaust. all I would need is a down pipe, and free flow cat converter. And a muffler tip. I was wondering if anyone has though about this, and if I am missing something, or a reason why it would not work. U know before I go out and buy everything. Thanks...

Last edited by Chris1casillas; 09-20-2004 at 03:01 PM.
Old 09-20-2004, 09:02 PM
Contributing Member

Silicone as exhaust piping...the two just don't sound right together.
Old 09-20-2004, 09:11 PM

I know it may not be the prettiest pony on the block, but its just got to work. That way I can save up for a lsd and good suspension, u kno...

I just was wondering if anyone knew why it would not work, or if anyone has ever though of it or heard of it?

I'm kind of a noob. I've been reading on this forum and other 240sx forums for about 2 months. Reading about LSD, turbo's, engine swaps, ect... I wanted to read before I posted some annoying stupid posts! Like some I've seen (I mean really, if some noobs just went to "howstuff works.com" life on this forum would be so much easier!)
But I havn't heard anything about this, so right before I try this I wanted to post just in case I was missing some big no no that silicone might cause for my exhaust. =) thanks peps
Old 09-20-2004, 10:06 PM

silicone like PVC pipe? i don't think it would work. i don't know how hot the exhaust gets, but i'd say close to 300, i know it'll get above 212. i'd say not to do that.

you say you want to save for suspension and lsd, well, i think good suspensions (doing things the right way) would cost well over a grand, depending what you want to do with LSD you can get costly, so i think the money on exhaust would be a fraction of the price.

plus, why not go to the muffler shop, custom turbing, get cheap replica muffler, i think that'd be cheaper than $400
Old 09-20-2004, 10:27 PM

I dont really care about look. The only reason I would get a muffler and all that crap would be to pass smog. then I would just take out the cat and muffler and put a straight through unless it would be too loud. cops trip alot about being too loud in cali. I just want a bigger exhaust that works. But thanks for the heads up. I'm going to ask one of the instructors at a city college, an auto mechanic instructor tomorrow. I'm going to take what every body says here, all concerns and then ask him about it. I'll let u guys know what he says . I'll get pics on how it looks and installation just incase anyone's in the same boat as me. As for lsd, I know its about a grand and good suspension is another grand. so if I can do this , I would be half way to a lsd or suspension, instead of just begining. thats all. U kno us poor college students. I mean POOR. j\k

Last edited by Chris1casillas; 09-20-2004 at 10:31 PM.
Old 09-22-2004, 10:27 PM
Contributing Member

Have you looked into the cost of silicone tubing? By length, it's more expensive than stainless of the same diameter. It's also heavier.

You would still need transition pieces (elbows, straights, etc) made from steel and would have to clamp the hose onto them. This is going to be a less-smooth exhaust path than a welded or bent steel tube.

I still bet you can get tubing bent at your local muffler shop for less than the silicone - and save weight.

-Justin
Old 09-22-2004, 10:47 PM

yeah ur probably right. I talked to a friend and he also told me that it may hold up to the temp. but maybe not the abuse of rocks and pebbles hiting it at high speeds. So a costume exhaust is the way to go for now. Thanks for ur help peps. Now on to think of another hair brained idea
Old 09-23-2004, 02:35 AM

umm i would suggest you leave the muffler and cat on if you are going to daily drive this car or ever drive it on the street...have you ever heard how loud a completely open exhaust is? Its pretty damn loud. You'll get pulled over for sure.