General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

solid mounts

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 10:49 PM

solid mounts

oh man, i just put in solid aluminum motor mounts and i do i feel a lot more torque grab, but at the cost of every single thing rattling like crazy. i knew there would be a lot of rattle, more than my friends rx7 (cause of the fact theres a lot more moving parts) but seriously. He said the 240 might be running a little bad cause it did shake a before a lot but the crappy motor mounts soaked most of that up.

I was just wondering if theres like a harmonic balancer type thing for 240, cause i mean its got new plugs, wires, cap and rotor(or so the p.o. told me) so i'm not sure how to soak up some vibration, cause i like the extra torque right away but the noise and discomfort def. isn't worth it for the just the occasional track day and all that. any help or should i just spend the extra money and get poly's or something cause i'd only be wasting $50.
Old 11-18-2007, 11:11 PM
Contributing Member

you should make your tranny mount solid also so it doesnt soak up the extra abuse and look into getting better subframe bushings or spacers
Old 11-18-2007, 11:48 PM

well i'm doing the tranny mount soon as possible, just doing longer bolts with like an big nut in between the mount and tranny. but how would getting like subframe bushings help, wouldn't that just make the ride then more terrible or at least harsher? i mean, i'll eventually do those along with my suspension this winter but how will that help, i'm confused i think?
Old 11-18-2007, 11:58 PM
Contributing Member

all of that vibration affects your motor mounts, tranny mount, and your subframe bushings since the power goes from the drive shaft to your diff. Your subframe carries that diff that takes in all the force so when you stiffen that up, there's no weak spot left for the vibration. If you do all 3, you wont have any weak points to soak up and take extra abuse. If you do only 2, then one area will be taking more abuse than it's supposed to. Get it?

So instead of getting solid subframe bushings which make the ride harsh, you can just get subframe spacers instead to stiffen it up but still be comfortable on the street.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:08 AM

oh yeah. thanks thats a good idea i knew the tranny mounts but didn't really think of the extra abuse on the bushings. but yeah i was just confused cause i thought you were saying that would make the vibration go away a little but yeah. thanks for the info.