General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

Sometimes projects just dont work...

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 03:52 AM

Sometimes projects just dont work...

Key to terms - SX = left, DX = right

OK, so this weekend, I decide to install new engine/trans mounts. Easy enough, right? You'd think so... (Megan mounts BTW, I checked and they are the same pieces/dimensions as stock and Nismo, just repainted with their sticker...)

Got the trans mount in in less than 5 minutes. This boosted the confidence up enough to go to the SX front. Little bit harder, but still not bad. Then I go to the DX and for some reason, I freakin' lose all confidence.

So I decide that I'll have my dealer buddies install the DX. So I make sure all is tight, drop the car and...

It runs like absolute ISHT. Worse than Harley vibration for those who know. I expect a little bit more engine noise and vibe, but this is panel shaking!

I think (coincidentally) something else is wrong, but why is it that the most simple projects cause the most headache? Could be timing, could be something I missed, could be the car doesn't like 2 out of 3 hard points. Whatever.

HUGE electrical smell as well, so I am hoping that something else failed and it's not MY work, you know?
Old 06-04-2007, 04:43 AM
Contributing Member

dont know about the smell but alot of people buy aftermarket "stiffer" mounts then complain that its too harsh so they go and buy oem ones.

so this vibration is typically normal when installing stiffer mounts.

but just incase im wrong about your situation i think you should get it checked out
Old 06-04-2007, 06:25 AM

Harsh would be welcome at this point. I've done hard mounts and urethane before with increases in vibration, but nothing like this...

240 buddy here mentioned that I probably just cocked the driveshaft and it will pull in better when the other mount goes on. Can't wait until I have everything together for a 5-speed swap and replace that F*#cking 2 piece with a nice Al one-piece.

I still think I have a slight timing issue after a full chain kit was just put on, but we'll see.

dammitt...

***** - Jus came back from the dealer. It is simply that the mounts are too f-ing stiff. I believed you batossaii, but still amazing. Even the dealer techs were just speechless after seeing and feeling the car. I did everything correctly, just bad parts is all.

New OEM. In the morning.

Oh BTW (and I have to learn this myself) F U C K meGan parts.

Last edited by Scuderia; 06-04-2007 at 01:00 PM.
Old 06-04-2007, 01:19 PM
Contributing Member

Haha, was it THAT harsh simply because of the mounts? I hope the hockey pucks i use for mounts won't be as bad
Old 06-04-2007, 02:00 PM
Contributing Member

haha hocky puck mounts ftw, motor's gotta be slammed also. but yea, megan arent that great quality, minus the coils and a few misc parts. for all you know is a chunk of lead with rubber around it. haha.
Old 06-04-2007, 02:02 PM

Dude. Unreal vibration. My car felt and sounded like a unbalanced clothes dryer.

My timing is spot-on and when they took pressure off of the mounts with pry-bars, it smoothed out beautifully. My guess is just meGan isht parts might have metal-to-metal where there should be rubber insulation. Like posted above, going with new OEM.

It's a street car. I hope other guys learn from this. Not a necessary project for very minimal gains. AM transmission mount is OK, but just freshen up the OEM engine mounts. You don't lose that much by having them. Use a basic torque damper or make gains elsewhere to overcome the minimal loss from the engine movement.

I have full-on Grand-American GT cars here with solid mounts that don't vibrate as much.

Last edited by Scuderia; 06-04-2007 at 02:04 PM.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:25 PM
Contributing Member

i did a write up about cusco mount and at the end i made a note about the excessive vibration. as long as the mounts aren't solid they will loosen up with time somewhat. also if you go oem but want slight stiffer mounts you could also polyurethane them.
Old 06-06-2007, 06:55 AM

I agree. The new stock mounts feel wonderful. They are different than the '95 originals as well, so lilke most parts, they have been superceded by a better rubber composition.

As mentioned above, building a small mold and doing a home urethane pour into the stock mounts would yield VERY good results for any high oputput mods. Cheap too!