General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

SR20 v KA24

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2004, 03:50 PM

SR20 v KA24

i know that the sr20 is far superior than the ka,

but i gotta problem i got my brothers 240sx already turbo'ed up with the ka motor and i drove my frienz sr and i liked it way more,

no here's the dillema
do i keep the motor, or do i swap which means 1200 for the motor and partial labour

wat should i do??
any opinions
Old 10-20-2004, 06:40 PM
Contributing Member

Uh, sr20 is superior to KA in stock form. Now if both are worked, then it becomes a contest. Anyways... what do you wanna do? Drag, drift, touge, autoX, daily driver?
Old 10-20-2004, 07:45 PM

where can you find an SR for 1200?

Anyway, unless you build the KA, motors built for NA should remain NA, motors built for Turbo are much better suited for boost. I don't know how built the KA is, but unless you want to do it right, sell the KA and go for the SR and boost the hell out of it. Just my opinion, and I'm sure some KA-T people will disagree. I mean I know the KA is overbuilt to a degree, but still its not a motor that was designed for boosting.
Old 10-20-2004, 08:29 PM

check classifieds, 1900 shipped, not bad
Old 10-25-2004, 05:56 PM

You are driving the wrong KA-T then, my KA-T is boosted in stock form, and the only SR's out there giving me troouble are 400 hp ones.

Eric
Old 10-25-2004, 06:17 PM
Contributing Member

Stop with the KA-T bashing. Jeez, you don't see KA-T guys bashing the SR.
Old 10-25-2004, 06:23 PM

havent there been like 50,000 posts about this already??
Old 10-26-2004, 03:41 PM

japanese blocks are reinforced so you can boost more than a ka
Old 10-26-2004, 04:30 PM

Originally posted by ArticDragon
Stop with the KA-T bashing. Jeez, you don't see KA-T guys bashing the SR.

i'd say research this more. Put urself in a NEUTRAL position. Act like u dont know wat an SR or KA is. When u do ur research on which is better, find both negs n pos of both engines. U'll find ur answer better this way. I just wish there was more info out there. I've did the SR vs KA research b4, still need more info.
Old 10-26-2004, 04:51 PM
Contributing Member

Haha@chiroke. How about you find out some info about both blocks before saying somethign wrong. First fo all, they're both japanese engines, Nissan designed both. Second of all, the KA is an IRON block, where the SR is an ALUMINUM block. The iron block can withstand boost more than the aluminum one can. So therefore, the KAs block is stronger than the SR's. Now if you were talking about internals, then that's a different story, well, slightly :-D.
Old 10-27-2004, 07:29 AM

Ok, here is the rundown of the whole KA vs. SR thing. I have no clue why every time i look in a thread why this is an argument. It shouldnt be at all.

If you look at it from a much deeper perspective you would realize both of these motors are completely ****. They are both restricted as can be and are both set up to be a reliable motor. The big thing is where one suffers the other makes up. Now if you wanted a bad a$$ motor that had a little of both worlds, which i am guessing is torque and hp, then the rb25 or 26 would be the way to go.

But seeing that one normal person, such as me, couldnt afford to keep that thing on the road, being as it would be such an expense, we are now stuck with modding our KA or SR.
So truth to the matter is neither motor is king d#*! of motors stock.

And I have alot of respect for the guys who build those KA motors up. It takes a nice little chunk of change for them to make it reliable. Where as we, the SR heads, just go and buy a clip or motor and slap that b!tch in a 240 and call it done. Just my $.02.
Old 10-31-2004, 12:32 AM

Ok here is some info for all the SR and KA guys that is not to be bias since I am stock its just the facts. I have two friends that are both turbo one is with an SR swap here is what he has

Redtop SR20DET
Koyo Rad
Greddy Intercooler
Blitz BOV
Polished piping
1K custom turbo exhuast

Now my other friend has a S14 KA24DE-T this is what he has

KA24DE
Volvo T3 used turbo
Volvo Intercooler
Volvo Rad
Volvo piping
handmade turbo manifold from greenhouse pipe
stock exhuast

Now when this homemade turbo setup hit the dyno it made 300 ft-lbs or tourqe at 3000 RPM and the HP was around 180 this is only 5lbs boost. They both went to the drag strip and the KA won by nearly half a second. The KA cost him 1000 to turbo it the SR cost 5000. The KA's block is ROCK SOLID its crank if a forged peice and the rods are built. To go turbo safe just replace the pistons. The KA was ment to hold much much more power. I myself would built a KA-T any day of the week over a SR I dont think many guys realise that the SR's they are getting are type 2 or 3 engines that are classified as "not fit" for japanese street use half the time. They are also overpriced for what they are and to upgrade them its expensive. The KA is made in Japan as well btw that was just a dumb comment its not a Domestic engine or somthing lol. Guys with SR's good for you your turbo and that most then some can say, guys with KA-T's good for you your turbo with more money in your pocket and less headach when you need parts lol.
Old 10-31-2004, 10:35 AM

dont bash the KA-T. just because a KA is NA in stock form doesn't mean it cant handle boost very well. As we have seen, there is MANY ka-t motors around. and most of them are quite strong. MOST KA-T motors will outrun and outperform any SR anyday.

DISPLACEMENT!!!

obviously a 2.4 will make more power than a 2.0. When you boost more, of course the SR in stock form will be better suited for boost than the KA stock internals. DUH. but if built, then they will be an even match.

chiroke, Hobie1113

research dammit. use the f'in search button!!!

anyways....like i said.......the turbo'd KA will outperform an SR anyday. but like artic said, it all depends on what kind of driving do you prefer....drift, drag, auto-x, w/e. use the motor for the application.

prices.

S14 SR20DET with labor = $5,000
S14 KA with GReddy turbo kit and labor = $3,200-$3,500

you do the math.