General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

Thinking about 1991 240sx (bad engine)

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 06:46 PM

Thinking about 1991 240sx (bad engine)

Hey guys, I'm new to the site and have some questions (yes, i've already checked the newb section, and searched for about an hour).
I've always been a fan of the 240's so i've decided to get one, I've been searching around locally and I have found one online. It's a 1991, the body looks good in the pictures, so does the interior. Although, the description says that it broke down at the current location. All the description says about the break down is "I was told it has a bad cylinder". The add says they want $650 for it. I have yet to meet with the owner and thoroughly inspect the car.
Now my questions are, could it just be an inexperienced person taking a guess at what the problem is? If so, what do you guys think could be wrong with it? possibly something simple like broken timing chain or something else???
I would definitely rebuild/restore anything wrong with the car, and i would do a sr20det swap as soon as i get the cash after buying it.
So, does this sound like something i should persue, ya know, like would it be worth the $650 for the chassis even if i cant fix the stock engine in the meantime??
Any information/suggestions would be greatly appreciated, (seeing as I'm kind of new to the 240's)!
Oh, also just something i thought i should add, my father and I run a full service automotive shop/body shop, so I can do all the work myself, and if i can't my father can help me.
Thanks in advance
Old 07-07-2007, 06:52 PM

The price isn't too bad if the body and interior are in good condition (mainly no rust). If it looks good, and you don't mind a project car, I'd go for it.
Old 07-07-2007, 10:45 PM
Contributing Member

Go for it dude. If you can't fix the engine (hell it could be one of many cylinders, clutch master, an actual engine cylinder, etc. Does it even run?) then you could just get a CA18 cheap or a SR20 for not too much money and swap that in.
Old 07-08-2007, 09:57 AM

Turbo KA, ca18 (Should be very cheap and fun), SR20 (been beat to death but so easy), rb20 (cheap, different and fun) Rb25(expensive different and fast), RB26 (you can't afford it).
Old 07-08-2007, 03:41 PM
Contributing Member

we forgot the best engine
LS7
or any LSx engine

but really, if you just have a shell theres SO many options engine-wise for this car.
Old 07-08-2007, 08:21 PM

Thanks for the replies guys!
I'm calling the owner tomorrow morning to schedule a time for me to go look at it. I'm pretty sure that as long as the body is good, I'm gonna buy it.
I've been thinking about engines, and all I'm really looking for is something fun, and something that will own any guys at school that think their moms volvo will beat me.
So on that note, I'm now thinking of just rebuilding the motor thats already in the car, but it says it has a bad cylinder??? So could I still rebuild the motor from the inside out, and make it run right and be safe enough to turbo it?
It's a 91, so it has the ka24de, so thats why I would rather rebuild it and turbo it.
Does this all sound like a good idea, or should I go with something different???
Again, I'm just looking for something to have fun in and beat any opposing kids with their moms volvo's or their preludes or whatever they think is tough cookies! lol
Thanks again in advance for any help
Tanner
Old 07-09-2007, 07:16 AM
Contributing Member

A mildly turbo'd KA should be able to take those punk preludes and volvos.
Old 07-09-2007, 07:39 AM

I just got off the phone with the owner. According to the owner, the car has no apparent rust and only a little faded paint on the hood. The car also had a complete brake job before it died. The car is also from Maine, not VT, so that's good, means less rust. I was told it was owned by an old woman, now the current owner. The owner said they were driving from Maine to Burlington VT, and it broke down in Cabot VT, they took it to a garage, where they were told possibly bad cylinder, but not sure what it is, so it's just been sitting since then.
So I got the address of where the car is, so I'm gonna try and go up there soon, then get back in touch with the owner.
I'm almost positive I'm getting a 240!!!
Old 07-09-2007, 10:48 AM

YOU CAN DO IT!!

YOU CAN DO IT ALL NIGHT LONG!!

I guess that doesn't really doesn't hold no relevance to this, but just DO IT! Well, check it out then if it looks good, DO IT!