General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

warming up the engine

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2002, 03:10 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by rudeboy
you're kiddin right? your car really drove it's self into large objects?

Like KITT on crack.
Old 09-20-2002, 07:21 AM
Contributing Member

Stop making fun of me, its actually hilarious though, since no one got injured. I was actually cleaning my car in the backyard one day and I guess i might have accidently left it in gear and then i remote started it from my room and when i looked out the window about 5 minutes after i didn't see it in my back yard. went like a frantic lunatic looking in the front of the house didn't see it, looked out the 1st floor window didn't see it. I threw on my boots and......there it is, stopped against my neighbors house. that explains my left front fender.

Then the time to the post office, left the car in gear (lazy to pull the hand brake) and then i forgot that i left it in gear while I was double parked and bam the car drives it self into the side some astro van's rear bumper. no damage to his, but damage to my right front fender.

Well let me stop embarassing myself.
Old 09-20-2002, 08:08 AM
Contributing Member

damn ok... well would it make a difference if it was an auto ? doubt it right... a starter is a starter i guess....
Old 09-20-2002, 09:17 AM
Regulate

Originally posted by I'm with Stupid
You should warm your car up until the temperature gauge is in the middle. No matter what the temperature outside is. If you don't warm up your car you'll have premature wear on the piston rings, less fuel economy, and you'll have to change your oil more often.
I usually try and do that, wait for the guage to get to the middle, then start driving. But sometimes I'm in a hurry and just have to get going without warming up.
Old 09-20-2002, 09:39 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Import Fanatix
well some of the main reasons is that it clogs up the catalytic converter after a while of continuous idiling throughout the life of the car. it also makes the oil last shorter, because remember that oil is suppose to last 3000 miles, not 3000 miles plus idle time. so that also is taken into consideration. also think about the wear it does to the piston rings. THey are working and doing nothing, so they are just wearing down while no motion is going on.
It's really the opposite, think about it. When you drive your car with a cold cat it'll clog it more than if it were idling because the engine is putting out more exhaust. If you drive with cold rings you'll get a lot of fuel blow by which will get into your oil, not to mention oil going into the combustion chamber and being sent to the cat. And it's better to have your cold piston rings at a low idle rpm instead of driving and raising the rpms, the amount of fuel, power load etc. on them.
Old 09-20-2002, 09:42 AM
Contributing Member

im scared to drive the car cold... i always let the needle move before i start moving.. and i drive slow for a while until the needle is steady in the middle...
Old 09-23-2002, 05:37 AM

idling for long periods of time is no good for engine..
just start the damn thing..
put on your 5 pt harness
and adjust ur hair..
after that you can drive easily..
under 2500
and then when u see ur temp and idle are normal just drive like u would any other time..
Old 09-23-2002, 05:42 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by I'm with Stupid

It's really the opposite, think about it. When you drive your car with a cold cat it'll clog it more than if it were idling because the engine is putting out more exhaust.
Your catalytic converter only starts to work if it is hot. When its cold the catalytic converter is doing nothing therefore allowing more gases out the exhaust. The reason the cat will get clogged up in the long run is because the gases sit in the catalytic converter and have no where to go so after a while and due to it being so hot the cat will get clogged up and there goes that.

Aggressive racing has the idea, and after you do all of that especially the hair, you will be at 30 secs and then after the car is warm while driving then you can grip it and rip it
Old 09-23-2002, 07:55 AM
Contributing Member

Really guys... if driving a cold engine is so good then why does every BMW M-series car have an adjustable redline and rev limiter depending on the temperature of the engine? If you read ANY automotive book or take automotive classes they will tell you everything I have.
Old 09-23-2002, 09:43 AM
Contributing Member

no one said driving a cold engine is a good thing is just that the engine does not need to be warmed up properly and not just left in idle.

check this out some quotes from sites:

"Give the engine at least 30 seconds (longer if it has sat for more than 24 hours) before popping it in gear and roaring off."

"You don't have to let the engine run on and on before driving away. About a minute is all that's needed to sufficiently warm up the engine. "

These are just a few quotes from sites.

And BMW has different shift points in the M3 due to gears, not coldness of the engine. First gear redline is quicker than the rest.
Old 09-23-2002, 10:51 AM

also..
when the engine is not warmed up..
the engine runs at a different engine warming mode..
and during this time it is also making hot egt's
to light up the cat
so its not good just to just chill
Old 09-23-2002, 02:24 PM
Banned

ALTIMAS.NET OWNZ