General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

why the hell do we have insurance for?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 06:21 PM
Banned

I found out that they didnt cover me because I bought liability with uninsured motorist, no matter whos fault it is. They will not pay up unless he is uninsured.
Old 10-05-2006, 06:55 PM

I found out that they didnt cover me because I bought liability with uninsured motorist, no matter whos fault it is.

They will not pay up unless he is uninsured.
What the heck is that good for?! Is it legal in the U.S. to drive without insurance?

the only time they dont have to cover your damages is if you (keep in mind I live in Canada) have any performance mods on your car and did not tell the insurer.
Right. Basically, be honest to the insurer and they have to be honest to you.
Old 10-05-2006, 07:28 PM
Contributing Member

damn man i feel your pain. but since I joined the Air Force. i only pay 80 dollars a month. but thats liability. i can add an second car for about 120 a month
Old 10-05-2006, 08:21 PM
Contributing Member

your insurance company shouldn't cover you, though, since it wasn't your fault. the other guy's insurance should pay for it. if you were to have your insurance pay for it, you would still have to pay the deductible (however much that is).

I don't see how the guy's insurance company can tell you that their client isn't cooperating when the matter should be handled between the insurance companies. It sounds fishy for an insurance company to close a case because their client isn't cooperating. I think that's against the law.....but i don't know. Maybe they can do that.

i pay $72/mo for my car with full coverage
Old 10-05-2006, 08:55 PM
Banned

All his insurance company needs from him is a statement. Check this out, I went to his apartment to suggest to him that he should contact his insurance company politely. His mom answered the door and gave me hell about to never come knocking on there door agian, then just 20 mins ago the cops came to my apartment because that f ucking hoodrat called the cops on me and they told me to never bother them again.....what the f uck is going on??? This is giving me a headache
Old 10-05-2006, 09:33 PM

Call up Progressive. They are awesome. I have had them for seven years now. When a guy backed into my car and he denied it.. his insurance company was like, "oh well"..

But the Progressive went after them hardcore and got my $1,500 for me. It was awesome.

Sorry to hear about your frustrations though. I hope things get better.
Old 10-06-2006, 05:39 AM
Contributing Member

did you by any chance file a police report after the accident happened?
you're getting screwed big time.
Old 10-06-2006, 11:39 AM

Im planning to go with progressive, Im glad to hear good things about them. Sry about you getting screwed by your insurance company
Old 10-06-2006, 01:19 PM

Sry about you getting screwed by your insurance company
The further I've read into this thread, I think his insurance company is actually doing it's job. It's the guy who hit him that's screwing him over. Since it was the other guy's fault, this guy's insurance company should be the one paying.
Old 10-06-2006, 05:09 PM
Banned

There will be no more screwing when I take him to small claims court. I am thinking of Judge Judy!!!! I aint bullsh!ting either, I will actually go on Judge Judy, Ill keep you guys posted.
Old 10-06-2006, 06:15 PM
Contributing Member

hell yea make sure you take pic's i want to see it on tv
Old 10-06-2006, 06:31 PM

Just gather all of the possible evidence that you can. Pictures, insurance info, hopefully paint transfer, license plates, witnesses (<-- especially that one, if you can!), etc.

And keep your cool. Judging by how you said you approached this guy's mother at his apartment, it sounds like you've got that under control

Too bad it might have to come to this

Last edited by epp_b; 10-06-2006 at 06:34 PM.
Old 10-07-2006, 09:40 AM

Originally posted by epp_b
What the heck is that good for?! Is it legal in the U.S. to drive without insurance?

Right. Basically, be honest to the insurer and they have to be honest to you.
if you tell your insurance company your mods that would make your car street illegal, would they report you to someone who could impound your car....or do they just not care?.........or would they refuse to cover you
Old 10-07-2006, 09:55 AM
Banned

Who would tell there insurance company that there car is modified??? Just keep all your receipts to the modifications and when it does get car jacked or totalled they will reimburse you.
Old 10-07-2006, 10:29 AM

Who would tell there insurance company that there car is modified??? Just keep all your receipts to the modifications and when it does get car jacked or totalled they will reimburse you.
I'm not so sure about that. I don't think they have any obligation to cover what you haven't told them.

if you tell your insurance company your mods that would make your car street illegal, would they report you to someone who could impound your car....or do they just not care?.........or would they refuse to cover you
Likely the latter. Then, they would tell you to make it street legal or not drive it (you can't drive a car without insurance here, not that you'd want to anyway).

Quick Reply: why the hell do we have insurance for?