General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

Windshield Wipers Won't Stop

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 12:31 PM
Contributing Member

Windshield Wipers Won't Stop

Okay, I know how to diagnose the problem but its cold out, so I was wanting some input so I dont have to go outside and investigate so much. My problem started yesterday when I went to get the salt off my window and nothing came out of the nozzles. I thought I was out of fluid so I filled it up and still got nothing. So today I went to the gas station and got gas, cleaned my windshield, and drove off. About a minute later the wipers started going by themselves, like on the constant but slower speed setting. If i put them on high they would go faster, but no matter the setting they would stay on. If I turn the car off they would stop. This is the strange part though. If I turn the car on and put in in reverse the wipers start going non-stop again. Do you think this could be the switch?
Old 01-24-2008, 04:07 PM

Wiper relay. The brownish box under the fender close to the firewall needs to be replaced. Its about the size of a pack of ciggs.
Old 01-24-2008, 04:12 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by OBEEWON
Wiper relay. The brownish box under the fender close to the firewall needs to be replaced. Its about the size of a pack of ciggs.
Thats what I thought at first when i was researching it, but I was under the impression that that didnt control the washer nozzles.
Old 01-25-2008, 01:09 AM

Did you check the FSM? I am currently reading under the "EL" part, page EL-52 or Page 902.
Old 01-25-2008, 06:54 AM
Contributing Member

I didnt see that but I dont think thats bad because my chimes still work fine. Maybe different functions can go bad though, Ill have to look into that. When I get home from work I'll go over the wiring diagram. Thanks man.
Old 01-27-2008, 07:00 AM

same exact thing happen to clubredsilvia 2 days ago. his started doin it cuz his car was so low the tire rubbed the wireing harnes under the fender. the bug roll of wires in between the fender an plastic mud gards. he had to cut out the mesed up wire an replace them where the tire tuched it.
Old 01-27-2008, 08:24 AM
Contributing Member

hmmmm that might be it, I just read his thread. I'll have to check it out, I should probably relocate the harness anyways. Thanks man.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:15 PM

oooh...DOOOOOITTTTTTTT!!!!
Old 01-27-2008, 09:42 PM
Contributing Member

I definately will, its something that needs to be done regardless if thats my problem or not. How much lower than that does it sit stock?
Old 01-28-2008, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by ryguy
I definately will, its something that needs to be done regardless if thats my problem or not. How much lower than that does it sit stock?
stock? stock would be higher then shown in the picture. I had to jack up the car so I had more room to work with the harness. when I had problems like that, I had my car like MAD slammmed

on the ground...

a Slight up angle shot. but it sits lower then shown.

and when my car was stock height...

so i think i dropped it...3~3.5 inches from stock?
Old 01-28-2008, 02:42 AM
Contributing Member

hmmm bro i was just going to say.. leave the whipers on and put a box of bottle waters in your passenger seat and like every 5 minutes dump water on your windshield.. but you got it.. good stuff.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:34 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by mad-***
stock? stock would be higher then shown in the picture. I had to jack up the car so I had more room to work with the harness. when I had problems like that, I had my car like MAD slammmed
haha no, no, you misunderstand me. I meant the harness, not the car. How much did you pick the harness up from where it originaly was?

P.S. the problem went away. I plugged the wiper motor back in and the wipers work fine, as well as the washer nozzles. I guess I dont have to resort to the spray bottle biggamehit. I am still going to relocate my harness though.
Old 01-28-2008, 12:12 PM

oh...maybe an 1.5 inches or so?

there is a little lip on there you can lift your harness up to.

other wise, the harness sits where you see my hood release cable when stock.

people usually pull the whole harness and run it inside, but just find what ever works for you..this works out just fine for me. i gotta do every other week or so check up on the harness to see if it's fine or not.