General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

Wiper fuse keeps blowing help!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2005, 08:36 AM

Exclamation Wiper fuse keeps blowing help!!

Hey guys, i just recently picked up a 89 240SX coupe.
i was a honda guy and i finally got into this from a friend.
anyways.

the problem is that the wiper fuse keeps blowing everytime teh wiper switch is in the off position. and hence the washer fluid won't work either since its running off of the same fuse. but for some reason, if you have the wipers in an on position already and than throw the fuse in, it will continually work until you throw it in the off position. i'm not sure about the intermediate section, but teh 2nd position.

so i could drive all day long with them on but the minute i turn them off, they blow.

now a buddy of mine told me to unplug the green box, however the first time we did it, we didn't actually unplug the green box. we unplugged the cruise control module in the engine bay. it and worked perfectly. i can turn the wipers off and on as i please in any mode. but at first we didn't know what that plug was. so next day, i went on the highway, i figured that i would use the cruise control and than when i tried, it didn't work. so i was like. oh so thats what i disconnected. and now the wipers don't work again.

now i really tried to un-plug the green box. and my friend said it should work, but you'll lose the 1st mode but you'll get straight on and off.

but that idea doesn't work at all.

so can someone help me out here, i'm very stomped.

please. i need wipers..
any help would be appriciated.
i've done a search already, but only see those whom have problems when they do a motor swap.

thanks
Old 12-29-2005, 11:32 AM

i woudl say there is prob a short in the switch.... as to why it works fine with the cruise control unplugged?????
Old 12-29-2005, 11:44 AM

so should i dis-mantle the switch and look for somethign ther.e
well now it doesn't work in general now. blows a fuse right away.
Old 12-30-2005, 11:26 AM
Contributing Member

sounds like a definite switch problem. Have you tried swapping the stalk with someone else with the same car? It's pretty easy - remove the column shroud, unplug the stalk harnesses, and remove 2-3 screws and the whole assembly comes out
Old 12-30-2005, 12:16 PM

no i haven't, don't have anybody else to really swap the switch with. would a fastback work on a coupe??
if anything might be able to swap it with somebody just for testing purposes i suppose.