Ka-t wont idle???

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 09:17 AM

Ka-t wont idle???

i turboed my car a while ago and it ran fine. i have just installed 525cc top feed injectors a fpr and a n62 maf now my car wont idle. i have a afc2 for corections. the afc is wired right cause my car ran fine before. i checked the wiring of the n62 and it is right. on the afc the in2 out5 and the next page is in1 out1. im pretty sure that is right for setting for the maf. i also have the fuel corection at -%49 across. if anybody knows how to test a n62 please help me so i can eliminate the maf cause i think that is whats bad. thanks.
Old 02-16-2008, 12:17 PM
Contributing Member

you test that maf the same way you would do any standard nissan maf...

the maf/safc setting/injectors are your issue... first was the 525 injectors tested are they hi or low impedance. did they come from a working car... whats the status with those....

as far as you n62 maf were did you get the directions from .. check you soruce.. ill post my diagram when i find it

also you have to understand each setup is different and you have to alter setting accordingly....

to be simple about the z32 you must have it set to hotwire.. and i hope you just didn't go and subtract the fuel by looking at someones else setup.. you cant do that bro... set them at 0 across the board and add and subtract until it idles.. you also have to factor in dec air settings etc etc... i really recommend reading the safc book for your own knowledge..

also are you running a wideband setup at all.. without it you are just blind tuning.. spend the 2xx dollars and get a nice wideband to help you smooth it out

also as far as your z32 settings check this quote out from another forum... i could not have said it any better

esahuque wrote........

In/out settings

the "in" setting is what ever type maf you have ON your car
the "out" setting is what ever your ecu should be looking for.

z32 maf (that's the n60 and the n62) HW-2
ka24e and ka24de maf HW-5
Q45 maf HW-1

put what ever number maf you have for the "in" setting and put what ever number your ecu should be looking for the "out" setting.

EX:
z32 maf on a s13 or s14 with a stock ecu, 2 "in", 5 "out"
stock maf on a s13 or s14, 5 "in", 5 "out".
z32 maf on an tuned ecu that is looking for a z32 maf, 2 "in", 2 "out".
Old 02-16-2008, 12:36 PM

well how do you test and stadard maf? someone told me it should be .8 volts and mine (looking on the afc for sensor check) is .44 with the car not on.

And yes the injectors are high just like stock so no risistors are needed. the directions came from jim wolf and also ka-t.org hat a diy on it. so it should be right. and as for figuring out how the fuel should be subtracted there is a formula that you put in the stock injectors new injectors and do a little math and it gives you the % of correction. that % would make the injectors stock, if you see what i am saying, so -%49 would make the injectors run at stock.

i have an inovate wideband which should tell me if the car is lean or rich but the car wont idle so the o2 sensor cant get warmed up to tell me.

And i am not tuning my car i just want it to idle so i know everything works and can tow it to the dyno, im not down with street tuning.

Also i have read the manual about 10 times and i have it set at hot wire and the in and out i know i have right.
Old 02-16-2008, 01:22 PM
Contributing Member

yea but did you take into account spark plug gapping... manifold with or without swirl valves. etc...

im well aware of the formulas bro.. but i tried them.. they don't work... you must tune or have you car tuned for what you have.
Old 02-16-2008, 01:36 PM

i have colder plugs in there now but, that wouldn't be why it doesn't idle. just to clarify when i start it, it revs to 2k then slowly goes back down tell it cuts off. i can mess with the fuel cause i see what you meen. but i just want to check the maf so i can eliminate that that is the problem.
Old 02-16-2008, 03:23 PM
Contributing Member

you could always hook the stock maf back up to check it bro... that will save you from spending money.... you can run the injectors with the stock maf you will just be limited in boost.... honestly a n62 is only needed if you setup will exceed 350hp roughly.... im running a n60 ( skyline, maxima, etc) with no issues... and you wire the n60 just like the z32. when i did my I just pattern matched years ago and got it right lol....

just try that first bro...
Old 02-16-2008, 07:11 PM

yeah thats what i was going to do tomorrow if i didnt get a solution today. i will and if it idles then i am going to order a new maf. but how do you test maf. you said you test it the same way you test all mafs. well how do you do that? thanks for your help. its been 1 1\2 years since i could drive this car and im soooooooooo close.
Old 02-17-2008, 12:52 AM
Contributing Member

you simply turn on the ignition and measure between the sender and a ground.. it should read at about 0-4.5v if im correct.. i have honestly never had a bad maf and i don't have my notes handy

brother... what you need to do is download a fsm for a 300 zx look in the EL section and you will find your answer.... i dont believe in doing all the work for someone.. its a great learning tool dude..

i mean if i come pass it ill post it up.. but i just don't have the time to search the internet right now.
Old 02-17-2008, 12:30 PM

i just put the stock maf on my car and it runs perfect so its not the fuel so i am going to order a nother maf, maybe a n60? im not sure yet but i believe that solves my problems for now. i checked out the fsm and it wasn't that hard to find. i tried for the past two weeks and couldn't find anything on how to test the maf now ill start searching for fsm from now on. thanks for all your help.
Old 02-17-2008, 03:58 PM
Contributing Member

sidefeeds suck, it's always possible you cracked one of the injector seals and your dumping fuel into one or more cylinders
Old 02-17-2008, 04:55 PM

yeah i know that side feeds suck thats why i got top feeds. but i am pretty sure that it is the 300z maf so i am going to buy a new one.
Old 02-17-2008, 08:27 PM
Contributing Member

good stuff.. yea bro the fsm is nice... many people like stig read Daniele Steel books... i read FSM's lol