NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

*Secondary Butterflys* PICS?????

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2005, 07:33 AM

*Secondary Butterflys* PICS?????

I have my intake mainfold off and i herd about removing the secondary butterfly for better air flow and hp but would this also cause it to run rough idle then??? true?

I have the pic posted because Im not sure what all needs to be removed.. I guess just so those plates inside the intake ports held in by a rod with screws... correct??
Attached Thumbnails *Secondary Butterflys* PICS?????-dscf0220.jpg  
Old 04-08-2005, 07:36 AM

another pic...
Attached Thumbnails *Secondary Butterflys* PICS?????-dscf0219.jpg  
Old 04-08-2005, 11:50 PM
Contributing Member

You can feel the power from 4000 rpm on. The idle is a little bumpy, However there is at least 6 hourse power gain you can feel!
the removal:
First you have to remove the injector rail, and all the other top end attachments....throttle cable etc.... and remove the upper intake tract. NOTE: you will need a new intake gasket kit...so be warned.

Once you get your upper intake tract off, you have to remove the c-clip that retains the entire assembly on....and then remove the vacuum actuator. Next, in the middle of number 2 and 3 cylinder, there's a set-scew that keep the entire tract in position. Remove this phillips screw.

Next, you have to use a fine phillips screwdriver, and lightly "tap" the end with as mall mallet to break free the loctite type material on the tiny little butterfly screws...and remove each one. (2 per butterfly.) Next is the difficult part...as I found it somewhat tuff to remove. I lubed it well, and sanded the shaft....but it took some grunt, and tiny grinding of the shaft to physically pull it out.(I bent it a little as I tapped to get the screws out....it's pretty easy to bend this long shaft.)

The shaft pulled out in one long (about 14" long) piece. It's hooped after you remove it...so don't be planning to reuse it.

NOTE: Since there's a horizontally bored hole from cylinder to cylinder, you might have to reseal up the holes with either welding or epoxy.

Or go the way i did and just replace the intake with a 1995-98 they came without the secondary butterfly.
Old 04-08-2005, 11:55 PM
Contributing Member

by the way that was curticy of don from 240.org
damn my spelling sucks
Old 04-09-2005, 12:51 AM

wow thanks a lot.. so thats why my friends 96 240 kicked soo much more *** the mine? lol maybe i'll look for the manifold off a 95-98 240 while i'm at the junkyard today.
Old 04-10-2005, 03:30 AM

you should really think about if you really want to remove them. the reason many people seem to get better performance afterward is because they were not functioning properly to begin with.

their purpose is to add more swirl to the air before entering the combustion chamber. this swirl allows better atomization of the gas as it enters the air stream. at idle/slow speeds this is beneficial. in cold weather its really important as cold dense air doesnt mix well when the fuel is injected. this all inportant swirl control valve also contributes to the ka's low end.

so yes removing them will improve the top end as stated before. but its a trade off. imho unless you have lots of mods or are going turbo, its not really worth it. but hey if you have access to a dyno, then test it out by doing a before and after test to see what your gains are. then post here so we all will know.
Old 04-13-2005, 07:16 PM

Originally posted by dkdeleon
Or go the way i did and just replace the intake with a 1995-98 they came without the secondary butterfly.
Great info but needs correction, all OBD 2 KA's don't have the secondary butterfly which means mid 93 production to 98.......
Old 04-13-2005, 07:19 PM

Originally posted by eddiec
you should really think about if you really want to remove them. the reason many people seem to get better performance afterward is because they were not functioning properly to begin with.

their purpose is to add more swirl to the air before entering the combustion chamber. this swirl allows better atomization of the gas as it enters the air stream. at idle/slow speeds this is beneficial. in cold weather its really important as cold dense air doesnt mix well when the fuel is injected. this all inportant swirl control valve also contributes to the ka's low end.

so yes removing them will improve the top end as stated before. but its a trade off. imho unless you have lots of mods or are going turbo, its not really worth it. but hey if you have access to a dyno, then test it out by doing a before and after test to see what your gains are. then post here so we all will know.
Fu$kit remove the GDAMN secondaries and port the crap out of yur mani and head if ya want a swirly thinga ma bob.........
I mean atomization.....LOL
To fix the rough idle advance the timing about three degress for a total of 23btdc, stock btdc is already at 20. This will allow the chamber to burn hotter, get more hp, and prevent the rough low idle......

Last edited by BigVinnie; 04-13-2005 at 09:45 PM.
Old 04-14-2005, 11:14 AM

Originally posted by BigVinnie
Fu$kit remove the GDAMN secondaries and port the crap out of yur mani and head
your sage advice will only lead to even more stagnant air flow. thereby enhancing the problem even further. thats real good advice. but wait according to you all we need are forged internals and are problems are solved. you really should go educate yourself instead of recirculating misinformation.

and btw obdII started in 95.
Old 04-14-2005, 11:42 AM

Originally posted by eddiec
your sage advice will only lead to even more stagnant air flow. thereby enhancing the problem even further. thats real good advice. but wait according to you all we need are forged internals and are problems are solved. you really should go educate yourself instead of recirculating misinformation.

and btw obdII started in 95.
Didn't mention forging the internals here, but that would be nice also, especially if you get forged intenals that bump up the compression.........
You are entitled to your opinion as I am to mine.....
Sorry if you felt offended by the porting comment, but what I gave was some of my advice to a little tunning, shure other options may be needed to be implicated, but then again I am a simple guy..........
All I give are options, not a direct method, most of the people here are noobs, I give a small piece of information it is there job to do the research, especially if they chose to tune thier own vehicle.............
If you couldn't tell the porting comment was a bit of sarcasim, but at the same time if used in the correct method to achieving HP it can work pretty well.........
I am here to learn in the forums as I hope that is what you are here for also........
I appoligize for my outlandish statement, didn't mean to **** you off. Lets both work together to make the correct fix.........
I would like to be productive rather than counter productive........
Agreed?
Old 04-14-2005, 11:49 AM

agreed. and maybe its the bad karma morning i'm having so forgive my sharp attacks.

Old 04-14-2005, 12:03 PM

I forgive and thanx for correcting me on the OBD....
Old 04-14-2005, 02:56 PM
Contributing Member

i removed mine only because they actually hurt fuel atomization after having my intake ported and polished... the flow numbers were more eratic with them in there so the machine shop suggested removing them... flow increased dramatically...as i said when i was talking about the work done on my motor i would not suggest anyone who lives with below freezing weather to remove the secondary butterflies from the motor... i have very few freezing days here and i want as much power out of my motor as i ca get... i dont know how they would have worked with the stock manifold on my motor but i know after the head and manifold were flow tested as a unit the problems became quite clear... once the butterflies were removed there was better flow and less turbulance as the air fuel mixture went into the combustion chamber...

as i said for a stock application they might be a good idea or even a needed option... but in a hi hp higher revving motor like i have built... it was the log jam in my air fuel delivery system...
Old 04-14-2005, 03:11 PM

so... removing my butterfries i would just have more problems with my motor being stock is that what you guys are saying?
Old 04-14-2005, 03:20 PM

and it would be a downfail come winter-time right?

Quick Reply: *Secondary Butterflys* PICS?????