NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

250 RWHP on a NA KA ->possible?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2004, 11:23 AM
Contributing Member

Question 250 RWHP on a NA KA ->possible?

Hey, I was talking to this guy from another forum about the KA. He seems to know what he's talking about and said he's built a couple of KA-Ts and NA KAs and said that most people believe the KA won't get over 200 hp at the wheel because they don't know the engine that well. Anyways, I told him I was looking for about 250hp at the wheel and he gave me a rough list of what would be needed. Think it's true?

10.8:1 compression pistons
Nismo or PDM cams
3 angle valve job
Unorthodox Racing Pulley Kit (Full Set)
Light Flywheel
SR20DET 370cc Injectors
JWT ECU upgrade or SAFC
Intake
Header
Exhaust
High Pressure Fuel Pump

I'd like to believe so, but it's one guy against the masses. If it's true, that's a major sleeper. 250hp w/o the lag of a turbo or anything hinting towards NA power.
Old 07-29-2004, 11:44 AM

Re: 250 RWHP on a NA KA ->possible?

Originally posted by ArticDragon
Hey, I was talking to this guy from another forum about the KA. He seems to know what he's talking about and said he's built a couple of KA-Ts and NA KAs and said that most people believe the KA won't get over 200 hp at the wheel because they don't know the engine that well. Anyways, I told him I was looking for about 250hp at the wheel and he gave me a rough list of what would be needed. Think it's true?

10.8:1 compression pistons
Nismo or PDM cams
3 angle valve job
Unorthodox Racing Pulley Kit (Full Set)
Light Flywheel
SR20DET 370cc Injectors
JWT ECU upgrade or SAFC
Intake
Header
Exhaust
High Pressure Fuel Pump

I'd like to believe so, but it's one guy against the masses. If it's true, that's a major sleeper. 250hp w/o the lag of a turbo or anything hinting towards NA power.
Nope. Not with that, you won't. I've seen about the same mods from Rich Bjornson, and I don't think he even touched 180rwhp.

The most I've ever seen from an NA KA is about 250 rwhp. However, that was a SOHC ITA 240sx. They also spent about $8k on that engine...
Old 07-29-2004, 11:50 AM
Contributing Member

Oh, I see. Anyone else care to say what they think? Sucks how you can't harness any NA power from the KA.
Old 07-29-2004, 12:23 PM

No...you wont hit 250 with those mods. I dont thin you would even break 200, and if you did, it wouldn't be by much.
Old 07-29-2004, 12:32 PM

my guess would be

bore it out

raise compression to 11.5:1

new valves, cam shafts

3 angle valve job

p&p of all intake pieces

widen exhaust put complete custom exhaust

bigger crank shaft

of course you'd have to do stuff like new ignition, new ecu, bigger / different radiator.

give or take, yeah 5-10k will get you a very well off engine..

i've seen a h22a at 290whp, he spent 12k on the engine, but it can be done.

I don't know why people don't have that strong of trust / belief in the KA engines.
Old 07-29-2004, 02:45 PM

Originally posted by shaughn

I don't know why people don't have that strong of trust / belief in the KA engines.
Its not that they don't have hope in it. Its the fact that, would you spend $8k for something that can be had for less than $2k?
Old 07-29-2004, 02:50 PM

Originally posted by JeromeS13
Its not that they don't have hope in it. Its the fact that, would you spend $8k for something that can be had for less than $2k?
Exactly
Old 07-29-2004, 03:14 PM

well, building a NA KA, would be alot more dependable than slapping on a turbo..

A properly turbo'd car should have all of the NA upgrades anyways.

well, maybe not ALL, but it should have some... compression is one up for debate.

Why make a nice car fast? Why not just buy a civic and a fart pipe?

Sorry, I'm the type of person who doesn't 'go with the crowd'..

just IMHO
Old 07-29-2004, 03:19 PM

Sorry, I'm the type of person who doesn't 'go with the crowd'..

just IMHO
That right? So how long after seeing a 240sx in a magazine before you actually bought one? I bet you wanted to 'go with the crowd' and buy one....
Old 07-29-2004, 03:40 PM

That right? So how long after seeing a 240sx in a magazine before you actually bought one? I bet you wanted to 'go with the crowd' and buy one....
well let's see, before I aquired one, I assisted with a custom KA-T on a 91, the other 240's around town I didn't really like cause they were lime green or 'riced' out.

I really haven't seen any in magazine's, because i don't read them.

I got a 240sx because the chance was given to me for really cheap. My last car project failed, mainly because i hated the car and didn't really want ot do anythign with it. So, now i have a decent platform to work on.

I haven't seen a hatch for a long while now, seen a few coupes.

I apologize if it seems like I was flaming, just the general answer seems to be 'swap this' or 'turbo that'..
Old 07-29-2004, 07:11 PM
Contributing Member

Don't let this get out of hands guys...be mature, or take it to the PM.

I think 200rwhp is realistic, not 250. There is someone around here(La canada)that has a N/A KA that supposedly has 230RWHP. No n02.
Old 07-29-2004, 07:22 PM
Contributing Member

I'll keep talking to him and ask him what makes him so sure about his statements. I'll reply once I get a response from him. BTW, 230 rwhp ain;t bad.
Old 07-29-2004, 09:10 PM
Contributing Member

just the general answer seems to be 'swap this' or 'turbo that'..
well that happens to be the general answer because it makes sense taking into account how much money you'd have to spend on an N/A KA to get close to the stock power output of an S14 SR, or even a basic KAT. $8-$12k just for 250rwhp? $8-10k invested into a swap ($5500 tops) plus the extra $3k+ for mods would build one killer machine.

And no I'm not just saying that because I'm the next drift king - I'm saying that because financially it makes more sense.

BTW I was one of those guys who saw a 240SX in a magazine (Motor Trend, road test buddy) and I would have had a 240sx years ago if it weren't for, uh-hem - financial.
Old 07-31-2004, 07:24 PM

if it were up to me, i'd stick with the ka. the torque you get out of it is insane. good ol' truck engines.

plus....its a lot more legal than swaping in a sr20, which would be sick cuz u get jdm. but the way i think of it, mod your car and make it like new, or get a new one. so 10k isn't bad for a "like" new car, that'll be damned fast
Old 08-08-2004, 08:05 PM

i would just like to comment that it is very possible to get a KA motor to 250+hp... care to take a look?

http://www.nissanusa.com/content/0,,...anding,00.html

1) copy and paste link
2) click "history/events"
3) click "motorsports"
4) click "off-road racing"
5) click "the truck"
6) read truck specs

Quick Reply: 250 RWHP on a NA KA ->possible?