NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

acceleration problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 09:24 PM

acceleration problems

Alright, first things first ... 91 Ka24de.

After near 5 months of no issues with my 240 .. some **** has to start today...
Driving around town, when suddenly (not after spirited driving either .. ) I start to accelerate from a light, and I notice that at some particular throttle points (all of them besides WOT and off the throttle anyways) im bogging and losing all power .. either spark or fuel.

So I drive it some more, fill up the gas a little more (water possibly, maybe my gauge is lying to me as usual and im empty, who knows) and the problem doesn't go away...

So I stop by the house, clean the plugs, check the gap, check the wires, yadda yadda, check all my connectors...after all that mess, I fire it up, and its all good. Drive it around for 3-4 minutes .. no problems.... then they start again...bogging, missing, loss of power unless im at WOT..

Now I've replaced the TPS 5~ish months ago, so i'm doubting that.. and i'l explain why.

First things first, I have no thermostat, so when I say my car is heated up .. thats just means that my temp has moved passed the first bar, and has at least heated up a little.

What it appears to be doing to me, is anytime i'm in open loop (not using stock ECM readings after the car has heated up) im bogging, etc.. When in closed loop (using ECM and very few sensors) i run absolutely fine, no hiccups, nothing.

As far as I know (and correct me if im wrong) open loop only utilizes three more sensors, Oxygen Sensor, Coolant Tempature Sensor, and the EGR system.

The problem is intermittent at best, when the car starts giving me the accelerating problems it isn't a constant thing. Sometimes I can go partial thorttle and it will accel ... most of the time though, it will bog unless i floor it and go WOT (wide-open throttle).

I'm clueless...any help is appreciated.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:55 PM
Contributing Member

have you cleaned the reeds on the pair valve?
Old 10-11-2006, 10:56 PM
Contributing Member

check your maf plug if you havent done so and make sure that is connected correctly...but uve prolly tried that...
Old 10-11-2006, 11:30 PM

MAF is pluged in, and has to be otherwise you can't rev past 3k.

I ditched the AIV (Pulse Air .. whatever the **** you wanna it, the thing that sucks clean air into your exhaust by vacuum IN the exhaust) and the vacuum canister ...

Its really weird ... I can't think of anything ...

The only thing i've done in the past few days is tried to put a thermo back in the 240, and had some overheating issues with that .. so i dropped the thermo again but didn't have any coolant to put in my radiator so i'm running straight water ...

That shouldn't make a difference with the CTS (coolant temp sensor) tho..so again, clueless..
Old 10-12-2006, 11:11 PM
Contributing Member

try the o2 sensor, you could prob use a new one anyways

what parts have you changed since ownership?
Old 10-13-2006, 12:29 AM

it was the o2, i checked the k ohm's on the CTS .. fine, checked the voltage on the o2 .. did not change at all, revved it up .. no changes.

Unplugged it, problems went away ... will replace as soon as $$$$$$ comes in.