NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

alright guys heres the problem...

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 08:41 AM

alright guys heres the problem...

so yesterday i finally got all the parts for my custom intake setup. i installed everything and had to extend the plug for the maf by about 6 inches so i cut the wires and used some 16 gauge copper wire with wire connectors to extend it. well got everything hooked back up (did the throttle body bypass at the same time if that matters) and turn it on and the engine wont go past 2500rpm. it accels smoothly to 2500rpm and just goes up and down (like 2000-2500) when keeping the gas pedal pushed. now i did some searching and all i could come up with is people said to check the connection on the maf, i did that still does the same thing, i also reset the computer (unplugged battery for 30 mins, still does same thing). i did the battery relocation over a month ago so i know that is not the problem.

any help guys? i really wana butt dyno my new custom intake
Old 09-28-2008, 11:32 AM
Contributing Member

how did you check the connection on the maf wiring, that is did you check the continuity?
Old 09-28-2008, 11:40 AM
Contributing Member

def sounds like your maf, maybe you mixed up the wires when you extended it.
Old 09-28-2008, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by jramosthe1st!
how did you check the connection on the maf wiring, that is did you check the continuity?
i did not check the continuity, guess i should pick up a volt meter for myself. and i dont think i mixed up the wires, all three are different colors and i just matched the colors back up. some more clues to mystery - it does have some trouble starting, like on the first try it sounds like to starts just fine but doesnt stay on and just goes right back down and dies, but then on the second try it starts, and when it does start it idle a little lower than normal, also it smells like it is running rich. dont know if those 2 things help out at all.
Old 09-28-2008, 06:40 PM
Contributing Member

the reason i don't care for wire connected that require crimping which is what i'm assuming you used is because they tend to come loose in not crimped right or sever the wire if crimped to much. solder is the way to go on thin wire.
Old 09-29-2008, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by jramosthe1st!
the reason i don't care for wire connected that require crimping which is what i'm assuming you used is because they tend to come loose in not crimped right or sever the wire if crimped to much. solder is the way to go on thin wire.
ya i am not a huge fan of the crimping wire connectors either, so i spent the extra $1 or 2 and got the connectors that screw together, i like them a lot better.
Old 09-29-2008, 11:31 AM

its highly unlikely but with the longer wires there could be some more resistance, which i guess could cause a problem but like i said, its unlikely, but jus throwin it out there,
it does sound like the maf though,
another thing u could look for is the vaccum lines if u removed any
Old 09-29-2008, 01:56 PM

ok picked up a multimeter and here is the update: if u are looking straight into the plug (not the maf outlet but the plug itself) and u go from left to right (there are only 3 wires in the plug) the left one says 0.2 volts (white wire), the middle says 0.2 volts (black wire), and the right says overload as in >12V (black/white wire). when i test the prongs inside the maf outlet i dont get any readings at all, i assume that is normal right? sorry but i always get messed up when it comes to wires and electricity, throw me an engine and i can rebuild it, but i hate messin with wires
Old 09-29-2008, 04:25 PM

ok, so after messin around with this for like 5 hours total now guess what the hell it was??? one of the wires that goes from the harness to the maf plug was "loose" it was still in the plug and could not be pulled out, but there was like a 1/4 inch of play in it, so i shoved it back in and super magic-o everything works great! i butt dyno'd the custom intake and tb bypass and it gets a from me. anyway i ordered a used pigtail off ebay to make it all official and pretty and hook everything back up again, thanks for all the help guys.