NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

another idle issue....followed by a heavy shake and then a stall out......

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 07:40 PM

another idle issue....followed by a heavy shake and then a stall out......

has never done anything like this until i relocated my battery to the trunk. and it also only does it at night when i have the silverstars on. it will run and drive perfectly but feels like a misfire or a jump in power while driving. But.....when approaching a stop it will idle crazy(up and down) then start shaking. i can hold the throttle and it will still jump up and down on the idle. after all that....has a sort of a chug a chug a type of sound.......then stall out. can restart it right afterwards and it will run perfectly fine...or repeat all the symptoms again(running fine after restarting for the 2nd time). Any ideas?????

i have a Injen intake from a s14 on my s13 and due to one of the breather lines not bein on the s14 intake i ran a mini filter(tube coming off the valve cover) i was told thats my prob.....but ive been running this setup prob free for at least 3 months now. Thought bad MAFS but that would basically not let me rev past 3k. so i know thats not it. Then heard i have a vacuum leak(found a crackd vac line under throttle body) but why wouldnt it do it in the day time and only do it at nite??? is alt goin bad?? silverstars drawing to much power??? battery is brand new and used all new cables when doin the relocation to trunk.

Once i get the car looking and running great-sumthin jus str8 damn dumb always has to come along and cramp my wave of project victory. any insight or ideas would be and will be greatly appriciated. thanx again dudes.

Would the o2 sens have anything to do with it?? i noticed mine looks really bad(has a slight appearence of ash and soot like shyt on it)again dudes....thanx. well,off to work in my girls 04' 300M......EEEEEEEWWWWWWWWW!!!

later yall
Old 08-18-2009, 07:52 PM
Contributing Member

check codes man. then go from there. the IACV would **** up how your motor runs. That is prob the line that has the crack in it. Check codes on computer and it will most likely tell you whats wrong. Is your check engine light on?
Old 08-18-2009, 09:31 PM
Contributing Member

if it really did start right after the battery was relocated and only at night, i would guess that you didn't ground the battery correctly or something of that nature. but as stated, checking for codes would be a good place to start.
Old 08-19-2009, 06:32 AM

kool koool guys. no-my check engine light isnt on.its raining like hell rite now so ima get to checking the codes and what not when it lets up. I dont get it bcuz i did the battery swap on friday nite and the problems didnt start till sunday nite on my way to work. everything was running perfectly (except for a slightly longer start up time when holding the key....figured it was the longer power wire taking longer to send power to the starter) i was thinking bout checking codes and doin what you guys said....and if everything checks out-ima put the batt back up front and run it and see how it goes down from there. appriciate the help guys....thanx
Old 08-19-2009, 07:53 AM
Contributing Member

check your connections for your battery. make sure they are tight and make sure the grounds are also tight.
Old 08-20-2009, 07:36 AM

UPDATE................well the ECU gave me the 5 slow and 5 fast so evrything was "fine". I kinda figured it had somthin to do with the ground. I used a bolt that was already in the floor and jus took it down to bare metal and buttoned it up. Its one of the ones between the passenger side of the trunk and the now empty spare tire well. I was told to just undo one of my strut bolts and slap it there. Didnt know if it was worth a shot so i jus moved it back up front and hooked it back up........to no surprise, its been running fine ever since. Would it be worth tryin out the rear strut mount bolt??? also.....after a lil inspection(because when i installed it in the trunk, it was 1130 at night) i noticed that where the fuse block is.....theres some corrosion goin on in there(enough to see jus str8 greenish blue through the clear cover)....could that be the culprit?? until i get it figured out a lil better...im back to ridin with it in the front.

The things i do just to get my rocks off driving such a bad *** car to work. All the gay *** civic and celica kids smiles go away every time i pull up to work, its such a great feeling knowing that their 00'celicas and 95-96 civics cant touch a Nissan thats almost 20 years old. hahaha. lemme know what you guys think it coulda been. shytty power wire, bad ground location....anything helps. later dudes
Old 08-20-2009, 11:12 AM
Contributing Member

most likely your ****ty power wire. it might need to be bigger. what gauge ground are you running?
Old 08-20-2009, 06:16 PM

it was a starter wire like you suggested. not sure what gauge it is-but it looked almost exactly like the ground under the hood that would go to the battery. got it from wal-mart in the battery section for a lil over $5. Black with yellow line in it, about 2 ft long. Had a ring terminal on one end just like you said and i bought a battery terminal clamp and went from there. i was hopin i jus chose a bad ground spot.....but am gona go get a new power wire and try it again. what gauge you suggest i roll with?? is the fuse block necessary for this?? thanx smoke
Old 08-21-2009, 08:36 AM

well........time for a "UPDATE" so to say.after moving the battery back to the front (thinking that was my problem-HA!) was on my way to work, and what seemed like a familiar feeling coming over my car. All the funny missing at speeds, coming to a stop and it idling dumb......all that crap was back. well-this morning after i got off, i was on my way to cash my check when it started idling worse than it ever has. I was holding the gas pedal to about 1k jus to keep it running and not let it stall out on me. glanced in the rearview and what do i see??....a shyt load of smoke coming out of my exhaust. immediately thought the worst. Got home and ran another ECU check....came back 33. according to the chiltons manual....it was the exhaust gas sensor. so i rolled up to the zone to cop up a new o2 sensor. shelled out $33 and got me a new Bosch unit(yea, i kno-i coulda bought the universal one for $17) took out my old one and it literally fell apart inside my o2 socket(wire, tip,connector...all that jus broke it was so brittle and old) put in the new one and and went for a spin. So much better now. ran another code check and came back 55. So as of right now im hopin i fixed the problem. Time to relocate the batt back to trunk after new power wire purchase. So it seems to be all good............for now.

does a o2 sensor really play that big of a role in the engine?? i mean, for it to go bad and cause that many problems??? thanx to 240smoke and jramosthe1st for your guys' help. that shyt is much more than apprciated fellas. later
Old 08-21-2009, 01:15 PM
Contributing Member

it communicates with your computer. but only after the car is warmed up.
Old 08-21-2009, 02:30 PM

basically my car was running fine up until it warmed up and then once it hit that point then it started actin like a piece of shyt???(forgive me for speaking on 240s in such a bullheaded manner-HA......sarcasm at its finest haha)
Old 08-21-2009, 02:47 PM
Contributing Member

its ok, we all get mad at our cars. its a love/hate relationship
Old 08-24-2009, 07:24 PM

well.....in the words of slim shady-guess whos back....back again. Replaced o2 sensor and that seemed to have everything working just fine. been driving the car without and flaws or hiccups or anything while driving. up until this morning. Was driving around after work for about 30 or 40 minutes and then it hit.......all the symptoms that i strted with. but this time....good lord.....it stalled out at the light and it took 5 times to restart it , ending with me getting it started, revving up to 5-6k and dropping into Drive(tire chirp and all that goodnes) and booking through the red jus to get my shyt home and shutting it down.(yea, guilty)while idling in my driveway, was puffing out black smoke and idling at like 200 aybe 100 RPM......then, as i stood there looking at the exhaust, it sounded like it cleared out and was back up to 600 with no smoke.

now im thinkin i have a bad cat maybe??clogged up or something. Because the last thing i remeber before the plague of symptoms hit, was a sulferry *** smell. My mom said her 84 Monte Carl SS did the same thing(idled and ran like dog shyt after the exhaust got really hot......all due to a clogged cat). it seemed to be fine and dandy up until in got hot as hell. and i ran a code check....got 55.

anyone???? thanx
Old 08-24-2009, 08:07 PM
Contributing Member

could be your cat. does your exhaust seem like it is hotter than usual?

also the sulfer smell usually means bad cat.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:20 PM
Contributing Member

i'm more inclined to believe that it's something along the lines of a leaky injector or faulty iacv. neither would register on your ecu but would cause these same problems. even a bad ignition coil could be operating fine at start up, but being to act up as the temperature rises. i'm willing to bet the problem is electrical.

Quick Reply: another idle issue....followed by a heavy shake and then a stall out......