NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

carbon deposits???

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2005, 05:59 PM

Question carbon deposits???

92 KA24de i/h/e. Did the seafoam thing about 2 weeks ago. Changed oil and filters. Car began to let out some really thick black smoke. I had just put on a brand new muffler.....now it looks as if the muffler is coated (on the inside) with what looks to me like a whole lotta carbon deposit. It's like a black powder. Car has serious trouble staying above 500 rpms. Smokes when I'm at a stop, smokes when I go from first to second. Smokes when I downshift or when I free rev.

I let it idle in the garage for about 5 minutes....then came and reved it slightly. I noticed that on the ground behind the exhaust, there was some clear liquid mixed with the carbon. It had no smell and no color. Is this a possible head situation? The engine has 125000. I'd really like to get this fixed. I've searched through the other forums and it seems to be a mixture of ideas. Let me know what you guys think, I haven't been on here in a while and I need your opinions. Thanks in advance!

crimsontide
Old 10-13-2005, 03:34 AM
Contributing Member

water in the exhaust is a commom situation for all cars... in most cases it is condensation... and in most cases is not a harmful thing...

as far as the carbon goes... that is what seafoam does... it is designed to remove it... and in some cases can bring problems to the surface...

case in point... a friend of mine had bad rings and pistons... a few ring lands were broken on 2 of his pistons... did not smoke did not make any noises at all and ran pretty good for a car with almost 200000 miles on it... hi did the seafoam treatment and the car started to smoke all the time with major blow by... the seafoam cleaned the cylinders and the problem rings would not reseal in the bores... lost compression and ended up having me rebuild his motor...

now this might not be the case in your car... it might take a little while for the rings to reseal or they might not ever reseal... and lead to a re ring job...

seafoam is a good product and it does what it is suposed to do... in some cases it will show you where a problem is when you never knew there was one to begin with...

i would suggest doing a compression and a leak down test on your motor to see if you have bad rings or valve problems and then go from there...