NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

Catalytic Converter

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2003, 10:42 AM
war

Catalytic Converter

My car stumbles on heavy accel in the lower gears and the car makes a funny noise, so my guess is that its clogged but I do know how it would get clogged, i had a cylinder not firing but it had to do with a gas problem and not a spark so no gas was getting into the cylinder but u can definitly tell its comming from the cat. My question is can you take it to a shop and have them service it or do I need to buy a new on and take it and have them put it on.

Thanks
Old 12-14-2003, 11:50 AM
Contributing Member

Re: Catalytic Converter

Originally posted by war
My car stumbles on heavy accel in the lower gears and the car makes a funny noise, so my guess is that its clogged but I do know how it would get clogged, i had a cylinder not firing but it had to do with a gas problem and not a spark so no gas was getting into the cylinder but u can definitly tell its comming from the cat. My question is can you take it to a shop and have them service it or do I need to buy a new on and take it and have them put it on.

Thanks
Whoa. wha?

Lemme try to understad this correctly. If there's no gas getting into the cylinder, then it's probably a bad or severely clogged injector. Weird though because your symptoms remind me of something my car did once.... but my problem was a bad spark wire.

And you can tell that 'what' is coming from the cat? There's no service to be done with a cat except for replacement. You can buy one yourself - it's a bolt on thing, but the bolts holding the cat in particular will put up a fight.
Old 12-14-2003, 12:14 PM
war

Yes already tired to take off the cat to replace with a str8 pipe but I do not have the tools to get those rusted bolts off and no shop will do it cuz of smog laws. But I already got the cylinder firing again, all it was was the wires that run into the acutal harness part of the injector were loose. All i did was push the wires further down into the harness and that first cylinder kicked right in and started purring. What the sad thing is, is that I took it to 3 shops all which dicked me around and charged me out the a** and told me NOTHING. I just got lucky. So what Ive learned from this is never to stop tring. But yes the cat makes a very funny noise and its causing a huge lose in HP on heavy accel. I think Ill just get a new cat, take it to a shop have them put it, come home and take it off(since the bolts wont be rusted it will be much easier to get off) and put my str8 pipe on, then take the cat back to advance and get my money back. Nice scheme
Old 12-14-2003, 12:19 PM
Contributing Member

Thats a good idea War...go threw w/ it. And sucks about the shops dicking ya around, Thats the one thing I really hate about shops =/
Old 12-15-2003, 02:04 PM
Contributing Member

nice scheme, but that's sad that those "shops" were *sses to you like that.
Old 12-16-2003, 01:55 PM
Contributing Member

thats exactly why knowledge is power, power to do things yourself and have them done right the first time, and saves you $$.
you can buy them almost anywhere, get a high flow cat, legal still but lets a little more flow through. I know for sure courtesy nissan sells them.

Dr.