NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

condensor fan for rad?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2005, 09:57 PM
Contributing Member

condensor fan for rad?

ok, i've serched and foud much usful info about elec. fans instead of the belt drive fan. i want to add an elec. fan, but it's an extra condensor fan that i have. the question is two fold. can i use this fan to cool the rad. and if so would i put it next the existing condensor fan or inside the engine bay. i've read about some cheap alternative fan that would work within the engine bay but i already have these two condensor fans so might aswell use them if i can
Old 12-11-2005, 11:47 AM
Contributing Member

please use some grammar and try to be more direct in your questions.

From what i gathered you are asking about fan placement.
The reason people put electric fans in the 240 is to remove the belt-driven fan. This takes some stress of the engine and frees up some power.
Therefore, you will take the belt-driven out, and drop in the electric fans in its place. On the front of the radiator there is a condensor fan for A/C. (if you still have it). Basically the cooling fans need to be placed on the back of the radiator, blowing air towards the rear of the car.

Also, make sure you know what your talking about. You said "cool the radiator." You don't cool a radiator. A radiator is used for cooling the water that runs through your system. If you notice, there are a ton of little metal fins on the outside of the radiator (front). Inside the radiator there are tubes that the water runs through. The purpose of the fan is to draw air through the fins and over the tubes to pull the hot air off and away.
Old 12-11-2005, 12:11 PM

Re: condensor fan for rad?

Originally posted by jramosthe1st!
ok, i've serched and foud much usful info about elec. fans instead of the belt drive fan. i want to add an elec. fan, but it's an extra condensor fan that i have. the question is two fold. can i use this fan to cool the rad. and if so would i put it next the existing condensor fan or inside the engine bay. i've read about some cheap alternative fan that would work within the engine bay but i already have these two condensor fans so might aswell use them if i can
If you happen to have a 240sx that has an A/C unit, your car will come with a secondary electric fan. Now if you chose not to use the A/C unit you can infact use the secondary electric fan as your primary fan, and you can use the A/C fan button as your switch, with the addition of a thermal switch in it's place also with the removal of the AC if you chose not to use it.
If you chose not to remove the A/C you might want to get a dual fan unit from a stanza, sentra Se-R, or even altima models all which utilize the KA24E (accept for the sentra which uses the sr20de).
Simply run the first fan for your secondary for the A/C, and on the primary fan run a switch, with a thermal switch as well.
That should free up some HP and keep your engine running cool....

Last edited by BigVinnie; 12-11-2005 at 02:43 PM.
Old 12-11-2005, 07:10 PM

I've heard of people who getthe RB25 swap and they have to remove the fan, so they use the Altima Fan asembly. You can get the asembly on a junk yard for arround 25$ and its pretty easy to wire and it hooks up perfectly.
Old 12-11-2005, 09:53 PM
Contributing Member

i thank you for your input but the question is not if i can remove the belt driven fan and install an electric one or not but if the condenser fan will be suitable. from what i've heard, there are fans that suck away heat and others that blow it away. thats why i asked if the extra condenser fan would go inside the engine bay or next to the other condenser fan that the car already has.
Old 12-23-2005, 03:37 AM
Contributing Member

if you are installing dual cindensor fans then there should be suffecient airflow for cooling your car...you should have enough room to put the fans side by side... it might overhang off one side a little but there is enough room to run both of them... hope this answered your question...
Old 12-23-2005, 05:31 AM

just leave the stock fan there