NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

Bogging problems, electrical nightmares..oh my

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2005, 04:43 PM

Bogging problems, electrical nightmares..oh my

Crossposted from NICO because I can't get a response anywhere..

"Hi guys, have been searching the forums and I have found a few solutions to my problems but none have fixed them.
Here is the problem:

Just picked up the car, had no cat-back exhaust when I bought it, prev. owner said it bogs down at ~4-4.5k rpm and hits what I would call 'cutout'. Totally stops revving, will not go anymore unless I let off until it slows down or shift gears.

Prev. owner said it was because of no backpressure, so we put the exhaust on today and have the same effect(just much quieter )

Changed out the MAF to no avail.

; Car does it when cold and when warm; no difference.
Revs up to 6k redline when part throttle, when it is WOT the problem exists(is also there at about 3/4 but 1/2 throttle will rev out)

Any thoughts on that? Plugs, wires are in good shape.

Electrical issue:

NO dashboard functionality except fuel gauge. This is a coupe edition with digital speedo/HUD. searching brings up a flawed capacitor or burnt out dimmer switch bulb, or fried TCM. Checked dimmer bulb; no light. Switched TCM, fixed dimmer light so it turns on, but no dash lights. (WEIRD: 1 bulb lights up with KEY ON - LIGHTS OFF, but light goes out with KEY ON LIGHTS ON WTF?)

Checked wires for stereo(no stereo installed) and isolated the 2 illumination wires to no avail. HVAC controls also were not lit up, but upon replacing the TCM the HVAC now works properly.

I am leaning to replace the whole instrument cluster; do you think the problem is deeper?

Thanks for all of your assistance and I look forward to your replies.

Joe
"

89 240sx KA24e
Old 12-21-2005, 02:21 PM
Contributing Member

Previous owner owned you.

Check your TPS it might be bad or have high resistance.

Your dash light issue sounds like a short somewhere. Maybe find a friend with the same type cluster and swap to see if it's the cluster itself.

Honestly I think you got hustled, but too late now.
Old 12-21-2005, 02:31 PM

Thanks for the reply, I got it for a good deal so I'm not too worried.

I am going to turn around the ECU and pick up codes this weekend.

Do you know if it is possible to totally get rid of the HUD and just used a normal cluster with an analog speedo?
Old 12-23-2005, 03:28 AM
Contributing Member

you can swap out the hud cluster for an annalog cluster... there are a few things that you will need to do to make sure that your tach works but it is an easy swap...

first thing is to find a donor cluster... 89 to 93 will work sohc or dohc... remove it and the pigtail wiring harness that plugs into it... about 18 inches down the clusters wiring harness there is another plug... unplug it and remove the whole thing... this will give you the whole harness that is pluged into the donor cluster...

next is to remove your cluster and pigtail harness... once you have your digital cluster out might have to switch out the tachs (if the donor cluster came from a dohc car) if this is the case... remove the front cover... go slow and be careful... the plastic clips can break very easy... once you have the clear cover and the black trim reing removed... flip the cluster over and remove the 3 screws that hold in the tach... repeat the process on the other cluster... swap tachs and re assemble the clusters... plug the non hud cluster into your car and test for functionality...

i had a rev and a bog problem with my car that went away with the replacement of the cluster... the speed sensor wires to the speedo then to the tcm then to the ecu... for some reason the lack of a speedo was messing with that signal... upon replacing the clusters it went away... im not saying this is your problem but it fixed mine...
Old 12-23-2005, 09:51 AM

Thanks man, I got a donor cluster from an 89(analog)w/ pigtail for 45$, I'm going to pick it up tomorrow and throw it in!