NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

Do i have to replace Pilot bearing w/ new clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2004, 10:42 PM

Do i have to replace Pilot bearing w/ new clutch?

I changed my clutch a little while ago, I replaced the release bearing but not the small pilot bearing. The pilot bearing didn't seem worn out at all, plus I didn't know how to take it off. I've been trying to figure out what's slowing down my car. It's lost a good deal of power since I've owned it, it only has 65,500 mile on it. SOmetimes when I try to take off from a stand still, it feels as though the car stuters, then it goes. WHen I just had I would take off on 1st gear, then slam it on second and the tires would spin because of the torque, but now they just spin slightly, then the car goes, feels as though there's a lag, I don't know what is it, I hope it's not the pilot bearing I didn't replace... thx!
Old 03-30-2004, 02:54 PM
Contributing Member

Usually new clutch kits come with a pilot bearing... I don't know if that's why your car is slow, but from what I've been told the pilot bearing should be changed when you change clutches (especially if the clutch has high mileage)
Old 03-30-2004, 04:04 PM

I'm going to replace all the o2 sensors, rotor cap, spark plugs etc.. the maf is clean as a whistle, no check engine lights, the clutch grips hard, I just don't know what it is, it'e like laggy w/ slugish acceleration... It back fires a lot too when I de-accelarate(spelling!?)
Old 04-01-2004, 10:08 PM

as long as you dont hear a really bad grinding, rubbing, weerd scary sound when the car is cold, you shouldnt ahve to worry about the pilot bushing,

pilot bushing wont make ur car slow, jsut an annoying sound, and then damage when the sound stops going away, from what i have heard, I need to replace my pilot bushing too,,, clutch is a PITA, I wouldnt worry about the PB for now,
Old 04-01-2004, 10:18 PM

hehe, cool, then I won't have to take it apart anymore then
I heard that backfiring when de-accelaration(spelling?) is usually because the car is running too lean. my 2nd o2 sensor is on the header before the cat, I bought a new one and will place it after the cat, hope that does it. or maybe I should just turbo. lol I found a smog check station that will pass me no matter what, it's California State Certified too btw! ain't I lucky?
Old 04-25-2004, 07:06 PM

since the pilot bearing is only a couple of bucks then why not replace it? your less likely to have problems with a new one(if it is put in correctly)