NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

DOHC running off of a SOHC ecu???

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2005, 12:48 PM

DOHC running off of a SOHC ecu???

Hey all, I have a problem that I really don't understand. Before my car was running off of a re-pinned KA24DE harness with a SOHC ECU and mickey mouse wiring for the interior harness as well as the harness that plugs up by the battery.. I had an extra DOHC harness, threw it in, got the plugs for the mickey mouse jobs from the junkyard and soldered them back in. I connected the DOHC ecu and started the car. The engine was barely alive. I went ahead and re-adjusted the distributor because it was really off, I mean taking it out and putting it back in repositioned. Well I got the timing fine but the engine runs like ****. Erratic idle, super rich, and misfiring. I'm sure I wired everything correctly too.

Another problem I'm having is that the Coolant temp sensor on my engines, and most that I've seen, has a red connector and two pins. Well on this harness it has a black connector with three pins, like the connector for the MAF. I tried to wire my two pin connector but I couldn't figure it out. I also looked at the Hayes manual and the wiring diagrams but none mentioned this wiring setup for the coolant temp sensor. Any Ideas???

When I'm running the DOHC ecu, set it on Diagnostic mode, unplug the TPS, it runs well but just doesn't stay idling for more than two seconds. I disconnected the MAF and it runs ok while not on diagnostic mode. This has really stumped me because I can't figure this out. You know what the funny thing is to? I decided to just forget it and leave it for tomorrow. Just before I put everything away I decided to connect the SOHC ecu for the hell of it to see if it worked and it did! WTF??? It worked. All I had to do was set the timing again and reposition the distributor. Why is this happening? Any ideas? Thanks, any help is greatly appreciated. Please note that my car was running fine before I tried to put the DOHC ECU. BTW I have a 95 engine.