NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

driving open headers, does it give more hp or lose some torque?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 03:00 PM

driving open headers, does it give more hp or lose some torque?

i was thinkin of racing open headers at the track, but i wasent sure if the car would lose some hp/ trq or gain some.
i need suggestions please.
Old 10-04-2006, 03:04 PM

It loses tq, at least thats what it felt like to me. It seemed like throttle response went to **** also.
Old 10-04-2006, 03:11 PM
Contributing Member

im not really sure, are you na? i dont think youll loose anything. i know on bigger exhaust systems on n/a youll loose alittle bit of torque but thats because the pipe is bigger and the exhast gases are in a confined space, then you run into "scavenging" and stuff. since the exhaust gases arent in a confined space without an exhaust, scavenging doesnt play a part? im not really sure though about running no exhaust. mabey i was right or on track or sounded like an idot, lol. hope that helped. someone corect me if im wrong, id like to know too
Old 10-04-2006, 03:22 PM

I am assuming he is N/A since he is talking about headers and not a downpipe.
Old 10-04-2006, 03:32 PM

yes, my car is na. and i have a 3in exhaust
Old 10-04-2006, 05:30 PM
Contributing Member

im sure you would probally lose some tourqe seemings you loose it as you go to a bigger exhasut. probally gain some top end though...either way its uneccesary.
Old 10-04-2006, 05:52 PM
Contributing Member

yea pretty much unecessary, your 3in. exhaust has already killed your poor ka's torque levels and the minimal amount of topend you have gained will not be increased anymore by running open headers, save yourself some time and just run it how it is, you be better off doing minor weight redux if your really trying to drop your times as much as possible, although they wont go down a whole lot from the 50lbs max your going to remove..
Old 10-04-2006, 06:28 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by KerosineK
I am assuming he is N/A since he is talking about headers and not a downpipe.
lol, i should of know that, guess i just wasnt thinking. i wouldnt unhook your exhaust because it would be too loud, especially if your going to the track.
Old 10-04-2006, 06:43 PM
Contributing Member

Open header is stupid for a street car and you need to tune for open ehader if you wanna use it at the track.
Old 10-04-2006, 10:05 PM

wat if i run with just headers, downpipe and catalytic converter. no catback? would i still lose hp?
n other question, how come i would lose torque if im lettin the engine breath better with a bigger exhaust or not exhaust?
Old 10-05-2006, 09:13 AM
Contributing Member

there isnt in backpressure.
Old 10-05-2006, 01:12 PM
Contributing Member

n other question, how come i would lose torque if im lettin the engine breath better with a bigger exhaust or not exhaust? [/B][/QUOTE]

because of scavenging. when exhaust gases leave the exhaust port they pull the gases behind them out. if you have a bigger pipe the exhaust gases have to expand to the size of the pipe, then pull the gases behind them resulting in less exhaust gas coming out before the valve closes because time was lost from expandiing. bigger than stock is better but you can only go so big before you start losing power. most bigger pipes losse torque but gain you a little top end, too big will loose both tq an hp. i think that was right.
Old 10-05-2006, 02:19 PM

so basically runnin open headers, not cat-back or with 3in, i still lose trq. damn!! i just wanted to make my car louder at the track. but i guess not.
thanks for advices all of u.
Old 10-05-2006, 02:30 PM

Pfft. Ricer..... Have you ever driven a car (namely a 240) with open headers? It is way too loud. At 2k RPM, I couldnt hear what my passenger was saying right next to me. Your best bet is to just stick with a catback exhaust and maybe look into a test pipe.
Old 10-05-2006, 03:43 PM
Contributing Member

why are you trying to make your car louder for the track? trying to attimidate your opponents? thats dumb.

Quick Reply: driving open headers, does it give more hp or lose some torque?