NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

Ecu code 32 egr function question

Old 06-11-2009, 05:15 PM

Ecu code 32 egr function question

I recently replaced the Egr solenoid valve, on my 95 OBDII 240sx, because it had set off my check engine light (what a horrible job it is in the worst place possible).

My car ran ok for a week or two and the check engine light came on again, with code 32 egr function. The only problem I am having is that this code is a little vague. This is not like a specific sensor is bad, I get the fact that something is wrong with the egr system, but what specifically does this mean? Should I start looking for cracked vacuum hoses? or is there something else I should be looking at? If anyone could give me an idea of where to stat that would be really great.

Removing the Egr system from my car is not an option, I live in NYC and I need to be able to pass inspection, so that won't work.

EDIT:I should have mentioned I read the code form the ECU itself, with the red light on the ecu, not from a reader. The code was three slow flashing lights, and two fast flashing. If I read it wrong please let me know.

Last edited by MasterOSkillio; 06-11-2009 at 08:18 PM.
Old 06-11-2009, 06:01 PM
Contributing Member

are you sure it's obdII and that you got code 32?
Old 06-11-2009, 06:19 PM

Defiantly obdII, I have the Ecu witht he white plastic connector, which is obdII and blue is obdI
Old 06-11-2009, 06:58 PM
Contributing Member

ok then, i asked because obdI codes use a simple, two digit numerical means of identification. the obdII were a bit more detailed using a generic, and manufacture specific identification. so, a obd1 code 32 and a p0032 may not mean the same thing.

while some vehicles were partially obdII compliant as early as 1994, i'm not sure if the means of identification applies to those and other early obdII vehicles. if however it does, you can not have a obdII code 32. but like is said, i'm not sure about the very first obdII codes so you very well may be right.
Old 06-11-2009, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by jramosthe1st! View Post
ok then, i asked because obdI codes use a simple, two digit numerical means of identification. the obdII were a bit more detailed using a generic, and manufacture specific identification. so, a obd1 code 32 and a p0032 may not mean the same thing.

while some vehicles were partially obdII compliant as early as 1994, i'm not sure if the means of identification applies to those and other early obdII vehicles. if however it does, you can not have a obdII code 32. but like is said, i'm not sure about the very first obdII codes so you very well may be right.
I should have mentioned I read the code form the ECU itself, with the red light on the ecu, not from a reader. The code was three slow flashing lights, and two fast flashing. If I read it wrong please let me know.
Old 06-11-2009, 10:46 PM
Contributing Member

i had to do some reading since i'm not familiar with the first obdII nissan vehicles, and from what you said, i think you're right. code 32 from the mil and p0400 using a scan tool are the same thing, both are one and the same referring to the egr system.

there are a few things that would cause this code to pop up. you already mentioned one of them, which would be the hoses. inspect them for leaks, also i've seen the solenoids fail from time to time, this too would give you a code 32. then there's the bpt valve (i think it's bpt, or maybe bmp i don't remember), and the egr valve.

you should download a fsm, it will walk you step by step on what to look for and how to test the parts i've mentioned.
Old 06-12-2009, 01:46 PM

Well after shoving my hands behind the engine and feeling around, I found a hose with a crack in it, and I was actually able to replace it without removing the intake runners. hopefully that will take care of the problem, and there are no other cracked/clogged hoses back there. It is not fun looking for vacuum leaks when everything is located under the intake runners or behind the engine.
Old 06-12-2009, 02:31 PM
Contributing Member

so just reset the ecu and hope for the best.
Old 12-31-2009, 11:38 AM

I have the same problem with my 95 ka. I am geting code PO400 but I have all ready replaced all the cracked vacuum lines I am not for sure if my Canister Control Solenoid Valve is still good. I live in Florida and there are no inspections here so I am going to bypass it I have all ready pluged the hard line off of the header but what solenoids do I need to unplug?.