NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

engine cuts off after 2-3 minutes of idleing

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 03:28 PM

does the car have an alarm? the immobilizer might be kicking in. wild guess but thought i'd get it in there.

also had similar problem, my car wouldn't idle when warm and it dies when coming to a stop or when you put it in neutral. i searchd some forums and it turned out to be the IACV, i got it replaced and now it idles fine. BUT, now when it's warm and you turn off the engine, when you try to start it, it starts but dies right away. i have to give it a bit of gas for a few seconds after i start it just to hold idle and it does. i've searched the forums again and some have suggested i replace the Coolant Temp Sensor, the one with the red cap in the pic. i haven't tried that yet but that's my next move. after that the O2 sensor.

hope this helps.

if ever you find the solution to your problem, please post what fixed it for the benefit of other members.

thanks.
Old 10-04-2007, 02:00 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by BigVinnie
Definitely a relay problem IMO
Do you think a relay is sticking?
Old 10-05-2007, 09:03 AM
Contributing Member

The power transistor did not pass the ohms check it doe not have continuity at all.
Old 10-05-2007, 12:50 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by sk240sx
does the car have an alarm? the immobilizer might be kicking in. wild guess but thought i'd get it in there.

also had similar problem, my car wouldn't idle when warm and it dies when coming to a stop or when you put it in neutral. i searchd some forums and it turned out to be the IACV, i got it replaced and now it idles fine. BUT, now when it's warm and you turn off the engine, when you try to start it, it starts but dies right away. i have to give it a bit of gas for a few seconds after i start it just to hold idle and it does. i've searched the forums again and some have suggested i replace the Coolant Temp Sensor, the one with the red cap in the pic. i haven't tried that yet but that's my next move. after that the O2 sensor.

hope this helps.

if ever you find the solution to your problem, please post what fixed it for the benefit of other members.

thanks.
You can check the coolent temp sensor to see if it is working by doing an ohm test and do a diagnostics on the o2 sensor, refer to the service manual.
Old 10-05-2007, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by dkdeleon
Do you think a relay is sticking?
maybe
Old 12-03-2007, 01:59 PM
Contributing Member

I just started back on my friends car again and still I am stumped. It is acting like when it reaches a certain temp something shuts off or opens up and it dies like some one turned the key off. It starts right back up but it doesn't take 4 or 5 minutes to shut off like when i first start it, after I restart it, it takes 1 or 2 minutes. any ideas would be much helpful.
Old 12-07-2007, 09:44 AM
Contributing Member

If the piston rings have a small crack in them would it cause these problems?
Old 12-08-2007, 10:20 PM
Contributing Member

any one? I need help figuring this out. come on guys I know some one can help, please.
Old 12-13-2007, 07:18 PM

Test the TPS.
Check fuel pressure, and fuel pump.
Old 12-15-2007, 11:21 AM

My friend's car is doing the same thing. We dropped the motor in recently and it starts up fine, idles for about 2-3 mins then starts to bog down, we try to give it gas to keep the revs up but seems like it choking or something. We checked all vacuum lines, TB, fuel pump, timing....still can't figure it out. We're thinking it is either the injectors or MAFS. But i'll suggest to him about the coolant temp. sensor as well.
Old 12-15-2007, 05:48 PM

Improper MAF grounding possibly? Take the black wire and ground out to the chassis.
Name:  MAFbypass.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  14.7 KB
Name:  MAFgroundbypass.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  13.7 KB

Last edited by BigVinnie; 12-16-2007 at 01:26 PM.
Old 02-16-2008, 12:35 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by BigVinnie
Improper MAF grounding possibly? Take the black wire and ground out to the chassis.

Thanks I'll try that.
Another Idea.
could it be the remote start on the alarm? It hasn't worked for a while and it shuts off like it would if you remote started it and didn't get in and put the key in before the five minutes are up and it shuts off.
Old 03-16-2008, 10:11 AM
Contributing Member

I'm stumped. I know its going to be something simple as hell but I cant figure it out. if anyone can help me figure this out it would be so cool.
Old 04-01-2008, 11:15 AM
Contributing Member

I cant believe that I or anyone else can not figure this out. I'm so frustrated I'm ready to load it with C4 and blow it to hell. lol
Old 04-04-2008, 06:03 AM
Contributing Member

Could it be the cam position sensor? or even the power transistor?

HEEEEEELLLLLLLP!

Quick Reply: engine cuts off after 2-3 minutes of idleing