NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

exhaust flames

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2002, 05:05 PM

exhaust flames

ok i have a quick question iam still kind of a newbie, but the Apexi N1 catback, how far does that go?? i mean when iam putting this on am i getting rid of the catalyc converter or is it still going to be there with the n1 catback, if so will have to get a test pipe to get rid of the cat, also i hear that n1 is about 3in and merges out to 3.2, with my stock ka24de will i be able to pop flames from the excess exhaust fumes??
Old 08-15-2002, 05:17 PM
Contributing Member

man i always wanted to pop flames out my exhaust... then i thought about it... its really scary.... you can light someone on fire... burn the **** out of someone elses car... get a ticket for whatever it is... and if god forbid you get into an accident... it might explode possibly... its not worth it... but if it was safer etc... i would get it
Old 08-15-2002, 05:20 PM

ok well it would only pop flames if iam like revving at like 8,000 i dont i would be doing that at a stop or with pedestrians on the streets so, back to my question on the first post does the n1 take out the cat??
Old 08-15-2002, 05:24 PM
Contributing Member

lol sorry man ... just felt like adding that thing in....
Old 08-15-2002, 07:33 PM
Contributing Member

Your car will not pop out flames, just because u go with a test pipe. the n1 is a catback exhaust, therefore it works after the cat and does not replace it. Why would you also want to take out the cat on a NA, you still need some backpressure. Also, that thing will be verrryyyy loud and probably would get annoying afte a while. They sell something that you can add to the tip of the exhaust to make the flames. It has like a flint and an activator in the car and you'll be like in the Fast and the Furious when they drag race on the street.
Old 08-15-2002, 10:33 PM
Contributing Member

i actually think thats neat... but i hear there is a law that u cant take off the catback unless your car is over 20 years old... seriously i heard that from a friend whos dad is a traffic cop ....
Old 08-16-2002, 03:29 PM

ok so i should keep the catalyc in there, but how about when i go with sr20det??? will i go with a test pipe once i get the swap done?? another thing my cousin rx7 with no cat w\n1 IS very loud and iam used to it and love it
Old 08-16-2002, 07:11 PM
Contributing Member

i love questions like these cuz i get to let out some of the info i stored up over the years Johnny 5 need more input!
if you really want to shoot flames i can find you a link to buy the kit. its basically a rich fuel mixture with an igniter in your exhaust. it will only spark if you rev past a certian point and let off throttle. in japan they hold contests to see who can shoot the longest flame. guys(and girls) can hit like 7 meters-whoa!
also the N1 will opreate just fine with your cat. removing the cat will only complement the N1.
my honda is stupid loud with a race pipe( muffler just for looks and cops) i like it but can't hear passengers.

it's your car
Old 08-16-2002, 09:13 PM

just because it was mentioned once....

you never need backpressure. backpressure is a myth. you need proper flow velocity. backpressure is simply an effect of flow velocity vs. flow capacity, or something like that. it could get technical, but hey, who's listening (and anyways if you don't believe me just look it up anywhere).
Old 08-16-2002, 11:07 PM
Contributing Member

i've read that good backpressure is a myth too, but i'm not sure i believe it. my friend's accord didn't pass emmisions so he cut a hole in the exhaust before the cat so the gasses wouldn't make it to the tail pipe. it worked and he passed, but since then, he has to step on the gas a lot more than he used to to get the car going. it seems the lack of backpressure slowed the car down. i can't be sure the lack of backpressure is the culprit, but it seems like it is.
Old 08-17-2002, 06:32 AM
Contributing Member

actually,backpreassure will improve torque. too much of anything is not good though. thats why apexi makes the dual n1. incresses torque due to smaller dia pipes for non-turbo guys(and girls) with good flo status to not lose hp.
a little backpreasure=ok
tiny 1 1/2" pipe-lots backpreasure=
Old 08-17-2002, 06:45 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by rudeboy
actually,backpreassure will improve torque. too much of anything is not good though. thats why apexi makes the dual n1. incresses torque due to smaller dia pipes for non-turbo guys(and girls) with good flo status to not lose hp.
a little backpreasure=ok
That is true, and also the backpressure is needed for low end response on a NA car, if you don't have backpressure then the torque curve will drop in the lower RPMs and increase in the latter. I don't know about u but I like it when i step on the gas and the car starts RoLLin
Old 08-17-2002, 09:09 AM

ok so how much power loss would i be looking at if i go witha turbo n1, i just want to see some figures so i know what i will be sacrificing untill i go turbo with sr20det
Old 08-17-2002, 09:13 AM
Contributing Member

I rolled with an identical 240 last night. He has exhaust work done. He could not keep up with me from a standing start but could overtake me when topping out. That all changed when he put his silencer in. He was able to keep up with me off the line a little better but was still faster.

I have no top end my car is slow.

Back to the origional subject.

Install whatever you want. Test pipe, dump pipe, y pipe with dump chooser, cat-no cat-high flow cat. Just be sure to have a shop that will help you out when you need to pass emissions.

Or have them run the car thru the test as you swap out parts. Get it to a point where you are just passing. Mark down what other parts you want to install and remember that they are the ones you have to swap out when it comes time to test it the following year.

How bad is it to swap some parts out for a day, pass the test and go right on back to being a polluter?
Old 08-17-2002, 01:31 PM

we dont have to pass emmisions here in florida anymore

Quick Reply: exhaust flames