NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

Help me

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2004, 06:19 PM

Arrow Help me

Okay, here is the scoop. I just got my 92 goin again after 3 months of sitting. The car idles fine, but when I get on the gas or drive normally, it putters like my grandpa farting. It feels like it is running on 3 cylinders. It is not burning oil or leaking anti-freeze. The plugs are brand-new and so is the gas. After I shut off the car, it smells like a struck match. I really need help fixing this. Any info is greatly appreciated
Old 03-09-2004, 10:24 AM

Anyone wanna help????
Old 03-09-2004, 06:01 PM

I give up
Old 03-09-2004, 08:45 PM
Contributing Member

Compression check it, then get back to us
Old 03-10-2004, 10:29 AM

I will check the compression. I did a little experiment on it. One of my fuel injectors is new and I suspect it might be for the SOHC KA. So I unplugged the spark plug wire from the matching cylinder. The car did not bog or stall at all. I plugged it back in and nothing happened. So then I swapped fuel injectors around. The car then smoked real bad and ran like crap. I switched them back and then the car ran fine. Got on the freeway and it was running beautifully. Got home and shut it off. Came back out 1 hour later and it ran like butt again. Now it idles like colon, runs real nice and smooth till 2nd gear hits and turns back to crap. Im gonna go today and get an injector out of a 92 coupe sittin in the j-yard and try that. I have a feeling the injector works, but is for the SOHC car and doesn't have the same fuel flow as the DOHC injector.
Old 03-10-2004, 04:00 PM
Contributing Member

The ECU probably isnt reading that sohc injector differntly and that is leading to you problem, but I could be wrong
Old 03-10-2004, 08:53 PM

Well, I push down on the wires right at the end of the plug and the car stopped shaking and idles nice. So I put a zip-tie on it to keep the pressure down on it. It runs fine till 1500 rpms then it sounds like a lawn mower. On the freeway at 60 and above in overdrive, the car has a weird sound like it running really hard. I stomped it to the floor and got it to 115 then let off. A whole crap load of smoke and crap blew out of the exhaust. Now it is running a little smoother in overdrive. Could it be any of my sensors, bad wiring, or the mafs dirty?? This is the most confusing problem I have ever had with any car.
Old 03-10-2004, 09:05 PM
Contributing Member

Have taking out your spark plugs and checked how they looked?
Old 03-10-2004, 09:14 PM

I just replaced them with Bosch Platinum 2 plugs.
Old 03-10-2004, 11:53 PM
Contributing Member

So they arent sooty, or stink of fuel? Sounds like a lot of carbon deposite, Search for seafoam and run it, might help but im not the best mechanic at all...
Old 03-11-2004, 10:24 AM

No soot and no fuel. Ill definatly try the seafoam. Thanks alot HyJynx
Old 03-11-2004, 10:27 AM
Contributing Member

no prob, hope I helped out...
Old 03-12-2004, 10:36 AM

Alright, I put a fuel injector from a DOHC KA in place of the wrong one. I can hear it working, but the motor still runs like colon. I have a few more theories on the problem. Could it be my headgasket blown across two cylinders? A valve or valves not shutting all of the way due to too much carbon deposits on them. Or an egr valve not working. Maybe the O2 sensor is bad and causing the car to run lean. Any more help with this again will be appreciated. HyJynx, I tried everything you said and it helped the car a little, but I think there is a more severe problem. This motor needs to last me until the fall when I will get my RB.