NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

How to remove manifold studs

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2005, 12:49 PM

Question How to remove manifold studs

The FSM says "When removing intake manifold on vehicle, remove studs.". I've gotten everything out and off to remove the top of the intake manifold but I have no idea how to remove those studs. Can someone let me know if there is a special tool I need or something?

Thanks
Old 02-11-2005, 08:53 PM
Contributing Member

Re: How to remove manifold studs

Originally posted by Tanshin
The FSM says "When removing intake manifold on vehicle, remove studs.". I've gotten everything out and off to remove the top of the intake manifold but I have no idea how to remove those studs. Can someone let me know if there is a special tool I need or something?

Thanks
Depending on what you're doing, you might not have to. usually you can thread two identical nuts onto the stud, lock them together, then use those as leverage to unthread the stud.

What are you doing, by the way?
Old 02-12-2005, 06:57 AM

Thanks, thats a simple solution that never crossed my mind.

I'm trying to remove the top part of the intake manifold to get to the IACV so I can hopefully get the damn thing off to clean it. It only sticks sometimes on idle, so from what I have read it should be cleanable. At least that's what I hope.

I don't know what I'm doing but like I said I had everything removed down to the studs including the fuel rail and injectors. Couldn't get the studs out and just put it all back together and to my amazement it ran.

That's how I learned to rebuild carbs though... my old pontiac broke down and I had no money to have someone else do it... Sat down with the FSM (Chiltons actually on that car) and it came out beautiful... With some hope this will be the same.

I am broke as a joke right now and can't afford $500 in mechanics that I can't trust.