NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

hybrid ka

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2005, 08:44 PM

hybrid ka

i just got done looking at hybrid ka's site and i see that they offer the oem pistons for the ka24e well im looking to do some motor work soon im not that educated in this kinda thing so thats why im doing the motor work to learn my uncle and dad are gonna guide me and teach me a few things, but i wanna know is what does it mean when it says .20 and .40 over bore like i said im stupid in this subjectso dont laugh , also could somebody explain to me what porting and polishing the intake mani and boring the tb will do for a sohc with headers hollow cat intake and a full apexi cat is it worth it or no thank you
Old 05-23-2005, 03:24 AM
Contributing Member

with reguards to the pistons... .20 ad .40 are over bore sizes... it is when you get the block bored out during a rebuild... the pistons are .20 mm or .40 mm over stock size...

porting and polishing is usually done to the head... it is where you remove metal from the head to increase flow and combustion... and smooth out the incomming air charge...

porting of the intake manifold and the throttle body are the same thing... on the kae the manifold flows about as good as a kinked waterhose... you can help it some by porting the manifold and installing a bigger throttle body... polishing of the intake manafold could be done but i have never seen it done in the ka... most people just have it extrude honed and call it good...

all of your mods are worth it... any time you power it is worth it... with a na ka motor it is hard to get high hp numbers without a lot of money... but you can look for about 15 to 25 hp over stock with the things you are doing... if it includes the porting work done to the head and tha manifold...
Old 05-23-2005, 04:20 PM
Contributing Member

yeah wikd is right, the 240's have really bad asthma. Fortunately there are some ways to help it breathe better. UN fortunately, its more costly than you might want. If you get some skill, you might try custom fabricating your own intake manifold. The sky's the limit man.
Old 05-23-2005, 07:07 PM

well i am willing to spend the money, and sorry again i dunno what honing means either, today my friend was talking about nickel coating the pistons and head allowing the piston to move slowly inside the head, i just said i dont know man, thats why im asking you guys i trust all the info you are giving me
also how much hp will i gain with porting the head, keep in mind i already have the header intake hollow cat and full exhaust
Old 05-23-2005, 07:10 PM
Contributing Member

as far as i know, nickel plating it would make it run with a little less friction, and thereby less heat... you can abuse it more
Old 05-23-2005, 07:17 PM

would it be worth it or no , also i am looking for tit valves and springs , im redoing the valvetrain thanks
Old 05-23-2005, 07:26 PM
Contributing Member

um... wouldnt know too much bout valvetrain upgrades, cept bigger cams... everybody loves bigger cams!... Ill take some stiffer valvesprings with that please... OH! and FRIES!
Old 05-25-2005, 11:59 PM

Originally posted by LA_phantom_240
um... wouldnt know too much bout valvetrain upgrades, cept bigger cams... everybody loves bigger cams!... Ill take some stiffer valvesprings with that please... OH! and FRIES!
Bigger cams are good but there is a thing as going too excessive. Remember you want to match ur cam to ur compression and the RPM range u want to have power at. A lot of people pick the biggest, badest cam and think their gonna make power which is true but the useable power is higher up in ur torque range which may or may not help you but wen u get a bigger cam it shifts ur torque range upwards. Don't get me wrong cams will make u power but you can go too far.
Old 05-26-2005, 08:57 AM
Contributing Member

That goes for anything though. Look at exhausts.. the bigger the better? No. you lose low rpm torque with a huge farty exhaust
Old 06-01-2005, 10:30 AM

What you want to focus on for better breathable responce.........

Longer duration cams, and mild lifts if porting and honing cannot get done for a while. Hybrid KA offers a wicked cam for the KAE......

Apexi SAFC to change the throttle correction, will allow the engine to intake more air to the maf sensor input, allows to work outside of the parameters of the knock sensor responce values.....

Better aspiration get an aluminum flywheel, dropping 13lb.s of centrifical mass will allow the engine to breath better at higher RPM.......
Works better than aluminum pulleys..........

TB's weither they are small or large or manifolds weither they have short or long runners only change and shift power band values..... Crank HP doesn't change, Rear Wheel HP does.......
Old 06-01-2005, 07:02 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah what you say is very true. What would a bigger tb acheive?
Old 06-01-2005, 07:08 PM
Contributing Member

More horsepower but a loss of torque because increased size=less velocity. Our beasts are torque monsters so it wouldnt matter too much.
Old 06-01-2005, 07:14 PM
Contributing Member

hmm.... i think ill jsut stick with my ol 60mm... i like my torque. Im fat, i need it
Old 06-01-2005, 07:16 PM
Contributing Member

Muhahaha........
Old 06-01-2005, 07:17 PM
Contributing Member

Lol but i bet my 240 will still hand your 240's *** to it.

Quick Reply: hybrid ka