NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

Idle and Acceleration question KA24DE! Need Serious Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2005, 11:57 AM

Exclamation Idle and Acceleration question KA24DE! Need Serious Help

Hello everyone, I'm new to the site and the KA24DE, I have had a Stanza for years but recently aquired a 1991 240. My question is this, when I got the car it ran fine, idled and accerlerated fine. So I go and buy and intake for it, the car came with a K&N cone filter (real not knock off) on the stock plastic intake pipe. It was banged up and nasty so I decided to replace it. So I went and got a MAF adapter and a cold air intake pipe,and procedeed to install my new intake. After I installed it the car is really hard to crank, and keep running, it will start then die. After several attempts it will eventully stay idleing, then when you push the accelerator slowly it will do just fine, but if you mash it hard it spits, spudders and dies if you don't let out. As far as driving, it it pretty much does the same thing, if you are real gently it will stay running, if you mash the accelerator it will die. Now I used to own a Turbo probe and if you had a loose intake, or intercooler pipe it did the same thing buck and jerk and wouldn't stay running. I have check and re-checked the intake pipe and all the hoses attached to it and everything is tight. Anyone have an idea what might be wrong. I noticed that next to the throttle body is a large hose that attaches to the intake. I think it is the EGR hose or somehting and if I remove it, the car dies even faster. Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Last edited by poppabeartk; 11-26-2005 at 11:59 AM.
Old 11-26-2005, 12:20 PM
Contributing Member

are you sure you have the maf pluged in good? also check your TPS, turn it left or right just a little this will make you run rich or lean, check injectors and fuel pump,
and check for vacuum leaks