NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

ignition controlled 12v power source?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 06:49 PM

ignition controlled 12v power source?

my friend and i are trying to install fal 210s and i wired the fan to the blue wire with the green stripe under the fuse box ( the ac.rad fan one )

and it would not work, i saw and searched online and it would work with the stock ac fan but not this.

i think the fan amp draw is too much or something because

when i try to start it ... the relay ? i think i don't know the cap thingy; clicks and the fans would not budge... but when i just wire it to the battery it works ...

is there anotehr 12v power source i can hook it up to ?

and if there is can you tell me exactly and how to hook itu p ?

im very good with electric work so...

i searched and they were talking about the starter wire but how do it hook it up ?

is ther eanother line i can ?

also when i was wiring it to the fuse box... i saw a ground wire and a white wire with a red stripe... so what i tried is i ground the fan and linked the white wire with the red stripe to the plus on the fan it didn't work...

maybe if i try to wire it to the bottom and put the cap on ( the blue cap on the wires; the breaker thingy ) ... will taht work ?

if im not so clear just ask what im trying to say because im realy frustrated and the sun is gone and my friend needs his car by tomorrow... also i would look at my car because my car has the fal setup but it's at the shop so ...

also i followed this websites instructions...

http://www.**********/links/installs/efans/index.html

exactly as stated...

thanks guys again

Last edited by j00ni3; 04-05-2006 at 07:52 PM.
Old 04-05-2006, 07:54 PM

12 volt source isn't your problem. An amp source is. What you want to do is run an inline 20 AMP fuse and a thermal switch, you can run this all directly from the battery.
You can get a thermal switch at any local auto parts store.
Old 04-05-2006, 09:18 PM

hey big v~

um... i have a 30 amp inline

and also the thermal switch wouldn't it just kill the batteries because i think these suckers drink a lot

it came with one but my friend said he didn't want to because it might kill it in the summer when the weather is hot and if it doesn't cool down fast enough it will just kill the batts... don'tk now if that's tru but it's his car so
Old 04-06-2006, 05:51 AM

I just installed FAL 220's in my zenk and I hooked them up throught a relay from my ignition. all my wiring is under the dash.

You can either use a relay or wire it up straight to the ingition.

wired straight-
basically all i did was put ground to ground from the fans and put the 12v (B+) wire straight to the ignition with a 30 AMP inline fuse.

wire using relay-

ground the ground wire from the fans

on the relay, connect:
ignition to 85
ground to 86
constant 12v+ to 87
and the fan's 12v+ wire to 30

FUSEING in between the fan and the relay (30 amp)
Use a 30 amp relay as well. I only use Bosch relays for they are the best

Also, DO NOT use thin crap wire!! You must use 16ga wire! this is because if you use anyting smaller the wire will heat very quickly and roast the line and fuse causing a fire hazard.

any questions, please ask.

I had a belt drive and since the fans stopped with the motor any way there was no need to keep them running after the motor stopped. so i didnt use a thermal switch.
Old 04-06-2006, 08:11 AM

thanks jovan will try that... need to get more wire... and im using 10 gauge...

so need to get more 10 gauge now
arg
heh
thanks agian
Old 04-06-2006, 12:25 PM

You dont really need 10ga. kinda unnecessary unless you have more than one accessory running off of it. I would use 12 at the biggest and 16 at the smallest. Remember, it's only 12 volts and fans dont draw as much as an amp. Lemme know how it goes.
Old 04-06-2006, 06:43 PM

Originally posted by j00ni3
hey big v~

um... i have a 30 amp inline

and also the thermal switch wouldn't it just kill the batteries because i think these suckers drink a lot

it came with one but my friend said he didn't want to because it might kill it in the summer when the weather is hot and if it doesn't cool down fast enough it will just kill the batts... don'tk now if that's tru but it's his car so
Your friend is an idiot. If he's that worried he shouldn't connect it to begin with. I am trying to save you and your friend time and money. My bad should of known it was 30AMP. If you would of searched this forum deep enough to 6months ago, you would of found this install on an s12 that has the diagram with thermal static switch install.
http://www.v6-s12.com/Projects.htm
Old 04-07-2006, 01:11 PM

yea big v... tell me about it... he's a di@# and stupid...

hahahahha... nah he's cool

i looked over the fsm and i wired it....

it works now with the ignition

haven't heard my fans in a while because it's in the shop but wow they are loud..

also ... he got an extra tranny oil cooler with a fan because he doesn't have one now. ..

can i hook it up to the same line as the fal's? ( i used the hi cond. fan relay )

would that draw too much

also ... there's a ground wire right next to the fuse box... i kinda torqued it too much without any heating or wd40 before hand and the nut broke... i am going to drill it out...

so for now i put that ground where the hood open/shut sensor right next to it so i ground that wire to that... now everything works fine but idk the voltage seemed to have dropped a significant amount... well the lights dim in his car dims if i just let it idle when cold... also don't have a voltmeter so can't test it .
can relocating that ground wire to somewhere else have caused that?

maybe because my fans don't kick it at start up thats why i didn't notice it on my car? ( i have a thermo switch so)

thanks again guys~