NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

(Junior member) Help! running w/o thermostat. ? ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2003, 08:29 PM

Exclamation (Junior member) Help! running w/o thermostat. ? ?

I got the thermostat sitting in a pot of boiling water. It's not in my car, I've ran the car like this before and nothing happened, i got scared that my luck would run out, so i put it back on. I got bored and decided to take it off again. know if for miami driving, it'll be okay? Like runing it this way, always. might it damage the KA?

I got brand new White 215/45 17" yokohama's. letting them go for dirt. E-mail me if you wanna see pics. chubbyrain53@yahoo.com
Old 01-28-2003, 09:48 PM
Contributing Member

I dunno... stock radiator will probably be ok. Was the thermostat causing your overheating?

I know that my car will run cold (just barely above C) with the Koyo even in 80 degree weather if I'm cruising at highway speeds.

But, I really have never had the option to try to run without any thermostat at all... Boston weather is not that predicatble. And the only time it is relatively predictable, it's cold as hell!

-Justin
Old 01-28-2003, 09:50 PM
Contributing Member

buffalo too
Old 01-28-2003, 10:32 PM
Contributing Member

At least you can count on snow in Buffalo. Hmm... does that make it better or worse?

-Justin
Old 01-29-2003, 12:09 AM

Question Koyo? it's a radiator right? how much?

Originally posted by Justin.b
I dunno... stock radiator will probably be ok. Was the thermostat causing your overheating?

I know that my car will run cold (just barely above C) with the Koyo even in 80 degree weather if I'm cruising at highway speeds.

But, I really have never had the option to try to run without any thermostat at all... Boston weather is not that predicatble. And the only time it is relatively predictable, it's cold as hell!

-Justin
Haven't heard of the Koyo, is it any good, ****, barely above C, thats damn good, my **** starts off half way point, 20min into the ride, well you know what happens. i flushed the entire cooling system yesterday, changed the thermostat with one i had lying around over a year. anyhow, got a new thermostat, but i dunno if i should use it. maybe I'll go w/o it. I'm eliminating all possible solutions to the heating prob. before i dump mulla on doing the head. Damn it! when will this nightmare end!
Old 01-30-2003, 09:09 AM

The things some people do to their cars cause "Their bored". Read up on stuff before you go through with it......
Old 02-03-2003, 08:38 PM

There's a supra guy that runs during the summer without a thermostat. IT's a good idea and it will have the motor run a lot colder. As long as you don't do it now, cause your motor will never heat up. I'll be doing the same in my 240 and in my supra. As long as it's warm out you'll run really good. Also an electic fan with the subtraction of the clutch fan is a good mod to keep things cool, and subtract parasitc lag from the clutch fan.

My 3 cents,

Kam
Old 02-12-2003, 09:38 PM

Wow no thermostat huh? Ever heard of fried pistons? That is usually one of the easier ways to cause this on your car, hell even NASCAR runs thermostats.
Old 02-12-2003, 09:41 PM

sorry piston rings not the pistons themselves
Old 02-25-2003, 01:42 PM

i no understand why they would fri the piston or sorry the ringsss .

If the car runs at a lower tempature it's more effiecient and in theory everything should run better.

It has been done before (IN the summer) and keeps temps nice and cold, there was a diagram for every thermostat that ran a little cooler it got 10 hp for every 10 degrees or something like that.