NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

KA dead, cooling system suspected, temp guage outta wack

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2004, 05:38 PM

Angry KA dead, cooling system suspected, temp guage outta wack

I just bought a waterpump and thermostat not too long ago because my heater was out. Yesterday I replaced my fuel filter with the Z32 fuel filter, and also ran some Seafoam through the brake booster line.

Today, RAN GREAT...I was getting off the highway exit ramp, slowing to a stop and the engine died. I checked the gauges and everything was normal, temp was fine. Restarted it, made a god awful-clinking (whizzing?) sound. Had to keep it reved up to keep it running. I pulled into a parking lot, it died on the way in. Popped the hood, VERY hot, smoke coming from the bottom of the engine bay.

Get this, when I turned the ignition off and back on, the temp guage was maxed out. Well I tried taking it home after it cooled, but it didn't make it, had to tow it the rest the way.

I checked out some other posts, and the first thing I am going to do is replace the waterpump and thermostat I already purchased. I'm most concerned about the temp gauge reading normal while the engine is running, but after it dies, I cycle the ignition and the temp guage maxes out!

Could this have something to do with the coolant temperature sensor? I tried searching on this too but I am
Old 02-29-2004, 10:46 AM
Contributing Member

it sounds like it could be temp sencer. have you checked the oil to see if it looks milky? if it does its your head or head gasket
Old 03-07-2004, 10:18 PM

The oil looked fine, but smelt very burnt. The coolant, however, looked pretty milky.

My brother and I ran the compression test today. Not good.

1st Round:
cyl 1.) 175 2.) 99 3.) 75 4.) 100

W/ Oil Added:
cyl 1.) 235 2.) 125 3.) 100 4.) 170

Stupid me forgot to depress the accelerator pedal throughout the whole thing. We tested again on cylinder #3 with throttle fully depressed and we got 95, which I think was 5 psi lower because the oil was dispersed more than any thing else. Also, these numbers are from a cold engine since it's obviously not running.

The piston rings are worn or damaged according to the FSM. Gonna have to pull it and see how far the damage spread, check the block and cylinder head for warpage. I wonder what else?

I hope I can just rebuild this engine. A turbo is out of the question for me but do you think I should spend the money on high compression pistons and drop two, maybe three grand on an NA engine? You know, just to hold me over until I move out and get a real job an all that to lay out for an SR.

Working at our pace now, we'll be lucky to have it running again by the end of summer. It's so intimidating to think of the work involved pulling and rebuilding your first engine, if I didn't have the Internet I'd have no other choice but to take it to a shop. Gonna have to suck it up and dive right in.
Old 03-10-2004, 09:41 AM
Contributing Member

good luck and remember, when it comes to the timing chain put #1 piston at top dead center and mark the chain and the sprockets togeather so you dont get the chain off a tooth ,this could cause bent valves and once again good luck.
Old 03-11-2004, 07:25 AM
Banned

Do you think the sea foam could have done anything bad to it. I was gonna use some but I wanted some feedback first. Sorry about the engine though. My KA24E overheated also (bad water pump/radiator) and after replacing them and taking out the thermostat it runs fine(no damage) It's a strong engine.
Old 03-14-2004, 01:14 AM
Contributing Member

i have the same problem.. well my KA is over heating, it hink it may be due to a busted hose some where.. but it might be a crack in the acual radiator.. and i have been told it might be my water pump.... i cant wait to get started tomarrow