NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

KA24E cylinder head Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 06:15 AM

KA24E cylinder head Question

I rebuilt the head on my KA24E but what i want to know is Does it make a differece performance wise in the engine? do i get better gas mileage and stuff like that ?? I ask because i still havnt started the car it i just would like to know what i should expect numbers wise when i do ... Thanks for any help..
Old 08-27-2008, 08:30 PM

Well we tryed to start it but it wont start i dont undestand whats going on.. Can anyone help me out cuz my car ran before the cylinder head blew .. While the cylinder head was out i replaced the wire harness on the car with one from a 89 240sx and now it wont work .. I dont understand i have a 89 motor with a 89 harness and a 90 ecu.. Is the harness not compatible with the ecu?? I mean both motors were the SOHC... any help to get my car running please
Old 08-27-2008, 09:48 PM
Contributing Member

iirc all the specs of the heads are the same from 89 to 90 the difference is in the pistons. a rebuilt head would obviously have better compression and there shouldn't be a problem when using a 90 ecu though so more info would help.

for example what happens when you turn the key, are there any noises? will the engine turn over but just not start? get back with as much as you can about the problem and we can take it from there.
Old 08-28-2008, 05:39 AM

Well when i go to start it Nothing happens all the accesories in the car come on when i put the key in it just doesnt crank over so im stumped on what it can be.. I still got the 90 harness for the car but since it was all cut up i decided to change it...
Old 08-28-2008, 04:14 PM
Contributing Member

at this point the problem seems to be electrical. make sure all connection are secure and free of corrosion, particularly the starter. if that checks out check the fuses. or you can use a volt meter to see if you're getting power to the starter in the first place.

i suspect that there will be other problems but for now just make sure you're getting power to the starter and that it's still functional.
Old 08-28-2008, 08:24 PM

Ok well i went took off the harness completley and started to plug them back in one by one to make sure that i doin this right and this time it cranks over but now its just not starting so im guessing it can be either my firing order or the starter so thats what happen today
Old 08-28-2008, 08:35 PM
Contributing Member

if it's turning over you can rule out the starter. if you have access to a gauge to check compression now would be a good time to use it. do a compression test as a double check for the timing. compression will be a bit lower than it should be. but as long as you don't have something like 30psi and all cylinders are about the same then i'd say the chain was put on right.

there are other ways of checking this but imo this is the best because you not only are sure the timing chain was put on right but you also know if you have a proper seal in each cylinder.
Old 08-29-2008, 08:00 AM

And if i dont have aguage what other ways can i check that??
Old 08-29-2008, 10:20 AM
Contributing Member

set the #1 cylinder to tdc and see if the distributor is on the #1 spark plug wire. iirc the pin on the cam should be at 12 o clock and the mark on the cam gear at 2 o clock. i could be wrong so double check with the fsm.
Old 09-03-2008, 05:40 AM

Ok well i dont know what to check anymore i give up on this damm car lol im jp i wont ever give up on her but seriously i dont know whats going on i took the timing chain off and reassembled it back together and still it wont turn on .. Could it be the cylinder head is not getting a proper seal with the block?? could that be a possibility??
Old 09-03-2008, 05:00 PM
Contributing Member

it's possible that you don't have compression but since you haven't started the car and assuming the timing chain was installed correctly and the dist. is in the right position it would mean you have a bent valve(s).

do a compression test autozone has a loaner tool deal. they'll loan out a tool to you but you'll need to leave a deposit for the cost of the tool. when you're done return the tool and they refund you the deposit.

Last edited by jramosthe1st!; 09-03-2008 at 09:52 PM.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:10 PM

Ok well we got it started after the third time taking off the timing chain and reassembling ... But now one of my injectors is staying on constantly like it just keeps squirting in massive fuel.. They did change the ECU between the two varrients of the SOHC motor it says it in the service bulliten in this FSM... ITs on page 930 of that book
http://www.nico club.com/FSM/240sx/1989/1989.pdf
So now my question is can the ecu be the one making the injectors keep squirting in the fuel becuase its a 89 motor with a 89 harness with the 1990 ecu... Can it be sending the wrong codes or something??? Im just trying to get my car running thanks for all your help
Old 09-03-2008, 07:11 PM

Just take out the space between nico and club to get to the link... and again thanks
Old 09-03-2008, 10:18 PM
Contributing Member

i believe you might have put a wire in the wrong slot when you re pined the harness. it's not hard to do because i've done it myself and is very frustrating to have to re check all the wires. at least you know what injector is acting up so double check to make sure the wire for that injector is in the right slot and take it from there.
Old 09-06-2008, 04:10 PM

Well good news is the car starts now.. It starts rough and calms down .. but when i put my car into gear it starts to hesitate and bog out and then finaly shut off.. what i thought it was was the MAF sensor again and i tried cleaning it but that didnt help.. DO you know what that can be??

Quick Reply: KA24E cylinder head Question