NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

Ka24e is letting me down!

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2004, 02:58 PM

Ka24e is letting me down!

Hey,
I’ve been Getting some weird idling issues with my 1990 coupe, and I’m wonderin what’s going on. When I Start the Car, the engine begins to shake but dosn't sputter, and the shaking is so violent at start up the valve cover actually hits the firewall at times that give an odd chatter. As the car warms up, the chatter/movement isn’t that bad at all, it only shakes a little but it idles at around 500rpm, and it doesn’t matter if I’m in Drive or in Neutral or park ( yes, its auto.. i got the manny-tranny but havent put it in... ). Also, I can hear a faint pop coming from the exhaust when the rpms are around the 1500 mark when its revving down

After searching though the forums and seeing what everyone has said, this is what ive tried:
Changed oil 10W40
Oil filter
Wires
Distributor cap and rotor
Spark plugs ( NGK G-power )
Replaced the catalytic converter
Reconnected the AIV hose back to the intake ( it cracked off.. I didn’t give it much thought )
Fuel injector cleaner
Cleaned the MAF

I’m running out of idea’s here, the only other things that I can think of is the Throttle position sensor, Knock sensor, or the timing….

Also, There is not a lot of power on the engine… so that would also point to the timing but I’m not sure what would knock it off.

And on a side note, the engine has about 144’000 Kilo’s on it ( about 89477 miles ) and its doing this, Leaking coolant, and starting to burn oil? I thought the KA24E was bullet proof?
Old 10-01-2004, 03:19 PM
Contributing Member

i sounds like a loose hose. i know you checked but that is what it sounds like.
Old 10-01-2004, 04:12 PM

yea i've checked the hoses, and i cant hear a hiss or anythign froma vacum leak...

this is driving me insane, ive wiggled the injectors to see if it was a bad connection.. no responce..

im going to replace the fuel filter ( yay gass shower ) and see if that helps..

waht hoses in perticular should i be lookin out for on this kinda problem, ive digged through all of them making sure that they where fitted and not cracked ( a fair amount of them have been replaced, or atlest look it... )
Old 10-01-2004, 04:40 PM

hmm its a stretch, but what about bad motor mounts? like yhe bushings are bad? i have a 90 sxse hatch and it has some issues with that, but also i have an 04 grand am SE and my strut tower upper bushing went bad after 12,000 miles..

its just an idea.. no reason to listen
Old 10-01-2004, 04:44 PM

Hummm, i will need to check them.. i was infact under the carr and checkign the engine wile i was doing the Cat.. i will make it a point to see them..

allthough i think its a little to violent to be something like that.. i could allmost swear that one of the cyl's are bearly firing and its tossing the engine around. but nothing seems to point to that.
Old 10-01-2004, 05:09 PM
Contributing Member

Ummmm. If your valve cover is hitting your firewall. You obviosly have bad engine mounts at the least. The cover is about 3 inches away from the firewall. So your engine is also tweaking backwards. Possibly the tranny mount is junk also.

slo9012Vde, it "just" wasnt an idea. It was a damn good one.
Check your mounts first & formost. Get the engine under control.
I'm a cheap bastard & made my own for $6. ( but you can get the NISMO engine & tranny mounts for about $200)
But while the engine is off. You should obviously check for loose/ broken vac lines & wires. Starting with the BRAKE BOOSTER. Because if as you say the engine is moving that much i'm sure something is loose.
Also check the IAC on the back of the intake for broken wires.
They do get brittle with age & have a tendency to break off at the connector.
Old 10-01-2004, 05:56 PM

well im guessing its the valve cover, i hear a chatter When i put the thing in gear on first start.. and its a chatter..

But the engine is a little to violent for it to just be a mount..
ill try to take a look at the lines and ****, thanks for the input.
Old 10-01-2004, 06:22 PM

Check the vacuum hose coming off the exhaust manifold....
Old 10-01-2004, 09:12 PM

actually, i mad a discovery tonight ( at 12:00AM ).. when i got home i left the car idle and and poped the hood and i noticed a sucking sound comming from the mid/left side that sounds like a sucking noise, then when i turned the car off it sounded like some pressure was releved or that some suction stoped.

Vacuum hose anyone?

anyone know what one would be causing this?
Old 10-02-2004, 02:02 PM

i found an enjector leaking on cyl 1.. i need to get a replacement.. a car place here wants 200 for a new one, and 100 for a rebuilt one from 89.... Great :S