NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

Keeping the KA Smooth

Old 06-05-2005, 05:20 PM

Keeping the KA Smooth

I want to ask everyone, since we all have an old motor 1995 240sx, what to replace or look at to make the motor like stock again.
Also I have an oil leak, and dont know where its coming from, can you guys give me any info on how 2 solve it or even locate it? Thanks
Old 06-05-2005, 06:14 PM

There's some stuff at autozone or kragens that sell stuff to seal leaks from the inside of the engine out. You can't really tell unless you clean your engine pretty good and pay attention to every part that could leak. How do you know you have a leak? Is it a dripping leakage?
Old 06-05-2005, 06:53 PM

yea. im getting my alternator done and when it was on the lift there was a good dripping action that was on my oil pan. underneath.
Old 06-05-2005, 07:57 PM

Oh, hope you find it.
Old 06-06-2005, 03:20 AM
Contributing Member

get a few cans of degreaser or engine cleaner or even some easy off oven cleaner... drive to a car wash and pop your hood... spray which ever cleaner you bought on the motor... make sure you get down behind everything you can get to even under the car... let it sit as per directions then pay for the car wash and start blasting away... try to keep as much water off of your distributor as possible... water soak distributors tend to not let the car start again until it is dry... clean it good... as good as you can get... put the wand behind anything it will fit... get under the car and do the same thing... if you have it clean enough you might be able to tell where the oil leak comes from the next time you drive...

as far as what to replace to keep it looking stock??? put on new hoses and belts... clean the motor snd the engine compartment... then clean some more... once you fix your oil leaks it will be easier to get clean and keep it clean...
Old 06-06-2005, 11:24 AM

how much you think that will turn out 2 be? im talking about the hoses and belt? if i do it myself? if i get some1 to do it?
Old 06-06-2005, 11:34 AM

You can go to an auto detail place (Some Car washes have them) and they'll spray it down for you. Don't know how much though, sorry.
Old 06-06-2005, 11:49 PM

wikd - i've been wanting to do something like that for a while but ive been hesitant i might mess something up. ive heard people suggesting i cover the distributor with a plastic bag then go for it. is the only thing i have to worry about the distributor?
Old 06-07-2005, 03:10 AM
Contributing Member

the distributor is the only thing to worry about... as long as you keep it pretty dry you should have no problems... covering it with a plastic bag is a good idea.... it works... just make sure you keep it as dry as you can by any way possible...
Old 06-07-2005, 11:58 AM

Hey ram, do you know what that stuff is that seals it from the inside out? That sounds way to easy...lol. Do you got any more info on this? Because I have a leak too somewhere, can't seem to locate it.
Old 06-07-2005, 12:11 PM

Can't remember, I always see it on the shelves at auto stores. I know they have some stuff for the tranny too. You could ask the store clerks, they might help. Sorry man.
Old 06-07-2005, 05:31 PM
Contributing Member

bars stop leak... they make it for the radiator... there is some in a grey/sliver bottle and some in a clear bottle... get the stuff in the clear bottle with the pelets in it... one bottle will do you just fine... there is also some stuff called liquid glass... it is clear with a copper color liquid in the bottem of the bottle... it is good stuff too but you have to completely flush all antifreeze out of the motor for it to work right...
Old 06-08-2005, 03:49 AM

The only negative thing about the stop leak products is that your engine becomes dependent on them. Plus every oil change you have to put Leak Stopper back in the crankcase. If you cant see the leak good bet it is a Front or Rear Main Seal.
Old 06-08-2005, 03:26 PM
Contributing Member

i would not suggest putting a block sealer in the motor... i was talking about coolant leaks or a blown head gasket... sorry i got 2 posts mixed up... i would suggest cleaning the motor to find out where the leak is comming from then fix as you find them... if it is a front seal then the motor will have to come out to fix... if it is a rear seal then you can pull the transmission and replace it...
Old 06-09-2005, 06:32 PM

take it to a shop and have them do a flourescent dye test.
the shop i go to charged me $30, they degreased the motor and put some dye in my crankcase.
my oil leak was from the front main seal

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Keeping the KA Smooth